View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 07:16 AM
Parrots:
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Thanked 17,595 Times in 6,703 Posts
Kiwibird will become famous soon enough
Re: hahns macaw feather less plucking addict

From my understanding of plucking, it can either be a reaction to neglect or an outright mental disorder with no apparent cause similar to anxiety disorders in humans. I think at this point, consulting with a experienced avian vet would be appropriate to determine if theres something missing in his care or if its something that has just become misfired up in his head. A couple things you did not address in your post that may be contributing factors are:

How many hours a day does he interact OUTSIDE his cage with you and your family? Parrots need 4-6 hours every day of interaction time with their "flock", and I'm not talking about everyone rushing past his cage or sitting on the couch where he can see you because it's in the living room They need to be out of their home exploring their environment, bonding with their humans, and just generally being social. Another big thing is the toys. There are a lot of different types of toys out there for birds, and not every bird likes the same kind. Our Kiwi doesn't seem to care much about wood chewing toys like most parrots, but he loves the acrylic foraging toys and anything with plastic beads and knots. It's a waste of cage space giving him a large wood toy, because he isn't going to play with it, so we give him the types of toys he does enjoy instead. Perhaps you have been giving your macaw the wrong types of toys. You say he enjoys a mop head, maybe he would also enjoy some knot toys made of leather cord too. He may also like foot toys, the kind with little beads and knick knacks they can't really chew, but many parrots enjoy just playing with (baby toys like rattles and fake keys are great for these birds and can ge bought cheap at thrift stores). My final suggestion to try is including the little guy at the dinner table with you. Sharing your meals with your bird is a wonderful bonding activity, and makes a parrot very happy. There are very few toxic human foods, so once you are familiar with what you can't feed him, feel free to share just about anything else. Kiwi eats breakfast and dinner with us every day. He has his own dish, and we give him a spoonful or so of whatever were having (sometimes he steals an extra helping though lol). Again, you really need to consult a vet at this point and carefully follow their advise, but you can also implement some new habits into your bird routine as well. Best of luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kiwibird For This Useful Post:
SandyBee (02-07-2013)