View Single Post
Old 06-21-2010, 01:33 PM
Banned
Birdamor is on a distinguished road
Re: Getting a cockatiel to eat new food?

Quote: Originally Posted by apatrimo94 View Post
here's a recipe that might get you tiel to like F&V. mine originally did NOT like F&V until i found this on here. It's called Jalapeno Cornbread. What you need is a box of jiffy mix, 2 jalapenos, and different veggies. follow the normal directions on the box of the cornbread. WARNING, when it says to use a cup of milk, don't use milk since birds are lactose intolerant. use water intead then also add an extra two eggs to make the batter more thick, then chop up the jalapenos and the other veggies, throw them in there, cook it, and feed it to your tiel. see if he likes it!

Great idea for tricking parrots into eating veggies, Apatrimo. But you might want to consider making your own muffins instead of using Jiffy because, for one thing, Jiffy's mix has lard in it and, for another, nobody really knows how old the mix is (I knew somebody who fed Jiffy to his canaries when they were breeding and the babies got sores on the sides of their beaks from it). Besides, the recipe is so easy that it doesn't really take any extra time to do them from scratch:

Mix together:
1 cup of corn meal
1 cup of whole wheat flour (you can get creative and do 1/2 cup of whole wheat and 1/2 of oat flour or any other combination you can think of)
2 teaspoons of aluminum-free baking powder (they sell it in the supermarket now)
1 beaten egg
1/4 cup oil
1 grated organic raw medium size carrot
1/2 grated organic raw medium size zucchini
1 grated small sweet potato
enough organic apple sauce to make the batter the right consistency