View Single Post
Old 06-20-2014, 03:11 PM
Parrots:
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
Thanked 1,985 Times in 986 Posts
Dinosrawr is on a distinguished road
Re: Juliette's Search for the right parrot

I'm actually a bit surprised that you've knocked conures off the list when they happen to fall under everything you're looking for. Green cheeks, in particular, are quiet, cuddly, loving, and very easy birds because they are also very independent when need be. Like ALL birds that are attached, they make noise if their flock member leaves, but that flock call can be trained to a different sound (such as a whistle) to make it more pleasant on the ears. If anything, I'd say a larger conure would be perfect for you as you seem to be discouraged purely by size (based off of the other birds you prefer).

To me, a cockatoo would be a HUUGGGEE no-no considering your list of requirements and would be shipped off after a week of their morning and nightly sound offs and your schedule. Julie is right in suggesting a Poi or Pi, too. I think they've lovely birds, and every Pi I've met has just been an absolute sweetheart to handle.

You can post as much as you like, and I also believe learning as much as you can is an excellent thing, but believe you me when I say that we all research and are completely surprised by the actual bird when we finally meet them. They all are so unique and they create such diverse bonds with each individual they meet. I'm STILL learning about my birds and their likes, dislikes, and how to read them. It's a long journey and as much as you read, watch, or listen, you'll never be truly prepared until understanding YOUR bird.

Generalizations will never prepare you for the actual bird, and learning about my bird will never prepare you for your bird. There's certain things like diet, foraging, training, reading behaviour, etc. that can be learned through reading, but even then it needs to be modified for YOUR bird. There's no such thing as a cookie-cutter parrot in my opinion. The best you can do is go out and meet the birds and interact with them for quite awhile to learn about them and how they interact with you, otherwise you may as well just blindfold and throw a dart.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dinosrawr For This Useful Post:
RavensGryf Supporting Member (06-20-2014)