Thread: Microchipping
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2016, 03:50 AM
Parrots:
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilianís Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Thanked 9,027 Times in 3,632 Posts
SilverSage will become famous soon enough
Re: Microchipping

Agreed! On a bird that large I would chip! I shudder to think of an open leg and on a macaw. If you do get a band (since there is some risk involved with chipping) PLEASE go with a rolled stainless steel band, not a flat open band!!! And choose a vet who has experience applying whichever you choose, don't just have any vet doing the procedure please.

And yeah, clipping is NOT a guarantee that your bird won't fly away. I learned that at an early age when a clipped bird flew away never to be seen again. It has happened to far too many people. Clipping or not clipping is not an open and closed matter, it is complex and different for every family, but please research the implications of clipping before your bird is an expert flier. They are lifelong and not worth it. Please do the research and let your bird fully fledge before you clip if you choose to clip. Also research harnesses and recall training
Anansi  (01-18-2016), Levi20101 (01-18-2016), MonicaMc (01-22-2016)