View Single Post
Old 07-09-2016, 03:47 AM
Parrots:
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10) Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P. Budgie - "Sammy" (1989-2000) R.I.P. Budgie - "Sandy" (1987-1989) R.I.P.
Thanked 1,958 Times in 993 Posts
Skittys_Daddy is on a distinguished road
Re: Which Conure is Right for Me?

I too can identify with your plight. I have bipolar disorder and OCD and I used to isolate a lot more than I do now.

Believe it or not, Skittles has lowered my anxiety/depression so much that I can actually go out on my own a lot more than I used too.

I too, rarely leave home and when I do, it isn't for long. Skittles is free-flighted and is only in his sleep cage for sleeping and his regular cage when I go out or if he wants to go in (which he does from time to tome), I leave the cage door open. I live on the second floor of a security building so escape is not an issue.

I can only speak for suns, since that's the only type of conure I have ever owned. But that being said, many people on this forum have spoken glowingly of other conures that are just as playful and cuddly. Only they aren't as loud.

There is a BIG difference being noisy and being loud. Yes, suns are loud. But they aren't generally a noisy bird. The more time you spend with them, the quieter they tend to be. Skittles will go hours without making screeches during the day. He's noisy when I first wake him up and when its bedtime (both normal for a parrot) but other than that, the only time he really gets noisy is to tell me something.

I think if you are home a lot and are aware of the needs, a high maintenance parrot might be a good match. I need a reason to get up in the morning. Something that keeps me accountable for my own well-being. I have to take care of myself so I can take care of Skittles.

Suns are loud and needy birds. So are cockatoos from what I hear. Both are also very cuddly. I'd think if you want a cuddly bird that is not loud, a green cheek might be a better match. That being said, with you having a cat and a dog - I don't think a sun or cockatoo is a good match.

I know some people will disagree with me- but I personally don't like the idea of housing a bird with a cat or dog. Some people are very responsible when it comes to the combination, but many are not. I am also not a fan of dogs, to be honest. I love all animals, but I could never own a dog. I like cats, but I find them boring. Sorry cat people!

For me, I have a high tolerance for noisiness/loudness. As long as it doesn't go on for hours on end (which it shouldn't as that is not normal behavior for a parrot).

As far as making any noise, Skittles is noisy when it comes to quieter noises. He makes 'froggy or duckky' noises almost constantly as well as little squeaks (like when you wash a window) as well as 'kissy noises'. Those don't bother me, I actually love those. He actually 'talks over me all the time". Whenever I talk, he is making constant 'froggy/ducky' noises. Hence, the wording on my signature picture. lol.

I have no sense of humor because my humor makes no sense.

Last edited by Skittys_Daddy; 07-09-2016 at 03:53 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Skittys_Daddy For This Useful Post:
ParrotProdigy (07-09-2016)