clicker training

BuddiesDad78

Oct 12, 2005
I was just wondering if anyone else has tried clicker training their Conure? I read about it and i knew how to go about it so i tried it and my Conures behavior has dramatically changed. I can pick him up in his cage now without the fear of being bitten which i think is totally awesome. Just thought i would let people know that this does work with birds and very well in fact. :D

sunconure

Aug 24, 2005
Media
Albums
Cedar Park, TX
Parrots
sun conure girls: Allie & Kira
I started by trying and I got a clicker and a book about clicker training birds. Can you though tell me/us a little about how you got this going...I think that was the hardest part for me!

OP
BuddiesDad78

BuddiesDad78

Oct 12, 2005
Basically what i did was click n treat for a few days and nothing else. You click the clicker then shortly after give them one of their favorite treats. You can also use a target type deal so when they touch the target you click and then give them a treat.

the target represents the task/trick you want them to do, so when they do the appropriate action you basically telling them good job with the clicker and then rewarding that action, the main reason i didnt start with the target is i didnt have anything appropriate that i could use for a target.

Littlechris123

Aug 18, 2021
Media
Worksop nottinghamshire
Parrots
Pineapple conure
Basically what i did was click n treat for a few days and nothing else. You click the clicker then shortly after give them one of their favorite treats. You can also use a target type deal so when they touch the target you click and then give them a treat.

the target represents the task/trick you want them to do, so when they do the appropriate action you basically telling them good job with the clicker and then rewarding that action, the main reason i didnt start with the target is i didnt have anything appropriate that i could use for a target.
My conure was biting on step up i got a clicker trainer within 4 days she stepped up stepped down no biting at all i recomend clicker trainer ive even taught her to fetch we have lots of fun and playtime sge also lets me know when shes had enough as i can play all day with

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Most of us who have done any sort of training without birds use clicker training. Its an invaluable tool.

Most Reactions