View Single Post
Old 10-12-2016, 02:21 PM
Parrots:
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Thanked 41,235 Times in 13,476 Posts
Allee will become famous soon enough
re: Bringing home a blue and gold macaw

Hello Scott, welcome to the forums! Thank you for sharing Diamond's story. After 15-20 years in an outside aviary, the transition to a new environment may be a little bumpy but it sounds like he's highly intelligent. "Go home with Scott", that must have melted your heart. If he hasn't had a lot of interaction with humans in the last years it will probably take time for him to build trust but it sounds like he wants to. I would follow his lead when you get him home. Make him as comfortable as possible, offer a good diet, lots of toys and he'll let you know when he feels safe enough to build a stronger bond. I wouldn't leave him alone but I wouldn't push him. Some birds readily adapt to a new environment, others need more time. Try to make every interaction a positive experience, reward him with praise or a favorite treat.

"She is not refined. She is not unrefined. She keeps a parrot." Mark Twain
The Following User Says Thank You to Allee For This Useful Post:
Scott  (10-12-2016)