View Single Post
Old 10-14-2016, 01:26 PM
Parrots:
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilianís Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Thanked 9,033 Times in 3,632 Posts
SilverSage will become famous soon enough
Re: Before Getting an Eclectus?

Some I have met have been nearly silent, some have been extremely loud. When they scream, their call is quite grating. I suggest you hear it before adopting.

Any bird can bond with more than one person if properly socialized, or at least learn manners enough to be handled by more than one person.

Of all the birds I have owned, these are the messiest. And no vacuum involved because they need a fresh food diet due to their unique dietary needs. And the poop is extraordinary.

If you are dedicated to learning, you can handle them (but for the love of all things feathered DO NOT get an unweaned baby!). Your questions show you still have a lot to learn. Spend hours on google, join species specific Facebook groups, learn here, volunteer at a rescue, join local bird clubs. Visit ADULT eckies before making your choice.

Any parrot has varying levels of bite, from "I slightly annoyed" to "I kill you now." Clues have a very sharp beak which is also large. One of the worst bites I have seen was from an eckie. But you run that risk with any parrot. Parrots aren't like dogs; if you can't handle being bitten, don't get into parrots. That said, I almost never get bitten now that I have learned to read and respect parrots, as well as train and socialize my birds.

The bad habits you mention are almost always caused BY THE HUMAN. Very often they are caused by a human that no longer has the bird, sometimes by the breeder years before the bird starts to do these things (practices like early clipping, force weaning, etc), so NEVER judge a bird owner by how many feathers their bird has, but some birds are more likely to pluck than others. Of the 5 eckies I have had in my life (two I rescued, 3 belonging to a friend) 4 were plucked, 3 were screamers. My two both re-feathered almost completely within a year of being on a fresh food diet, proper bathing, and having toys and interaction, as well as no longer being forced to live together. However the two my friend rescued never improved much, and mine never stopped completely. One of the screamers proved, two did not. I don't know what "normal statistics" would be, but those are the experiences I have had. Ultimately parrots are extremely specialized pets and if you aren't willing to be a slave to them, don't get one.

Can you tell us a bit about what you are looking for in a parrot and your life situation? That would make it easier for us to point out possible issues with Eckies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Anansi  (10-15-2016)