View Single Post
Old 10-15-2016, 11:39 AM
Parrots:
Confetti (9y/o CAG), Ely (5 y/o Citron SC2), Barney (3 y/o MSC2), Baby (21 y/o Senegal), Peaches (16 y/o M2) Conan (26 y/o Harlequin Macaw)
Thanked 2,181 Times in 673 Posts
SirEdwin89 is on a distinguished road
Re: Before Getting an Eclectus?

Quote: Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Welcome, and thanks for joining! I admire and respect your quest for some answers before taking the plunge!

I have had a total of two and currently live with one Eclectus, so my sample is small.

Noise is the least of my problems, just an occasional "honk" that is a sort of flock-call. Not terribly loud, and they don't scream for minutes as do other species.

My female is a strictly one-person bird -me! She will tolerate other males but despises females. My male was generally more social.

In my experience Eclectus are a bit neater than other animals. No destructive chewing or Houdini-like cage dismantling, but their droppings can be a bit wetter than others.

No more difficult IMHO than others, mostly the same needs overall.

Their biting is indeed like a saw or scissors, progressively harder and, if given the chance, deeper! They are generally quite gentle and like all parrots, use the beak as a tool.

I haven't notice any particularly bad habits. Mine don't display emotions as clearly as other parrots, the clues are very subtle as compared with my cockatoos.
*everything* is subtle when compared to cockatoo's! LOL
Anansi  (10-15-2016), plumsmum2005 (10-15-2016)