Beak and Hand.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Well you all know that Bucc can be a real brat at times, Yesterday I was doing a major cage clean and Bucc hates it. I took the bottom trays out and got inside his cage :eek: I closed the top hatch up, and was busy scrubbing the cage top to bottom. I knew he had flown over but didn't think anything of it, then all of a sudden there was a pain in my hand, :( Yep the little devil had his beak firmly clasped on my hand I just had to stand there and wait for him to let go of it. I had left my hand to close to the bars and that was it. I now have 3 puncture wounds in my hand :confused: They were bleeding and real sore, so while I was cleaning I bandaged my hand (after cleaning it up) then all day he was coming up to me and telling me how much he loved me, and giving kisses, but the funniest part was when he saw the bandage, he would sit and say "Bucc gooooood boy, noooooooooo" (I have never told him he was bad, so when he does something he knows he's not supposed to its always Bucc goooood, nooooo) Later on in the evening I took the bandage off and its not too bad. Guess I'll remember next time to keep hands inside the cage. lol.
Today he is still being very loving, but at the end of the day I know he hates me being in his cage, even if it is to clean it so I should have been more aware of what was going on with him.

The cage does look real good - for a while anyway, so it was worth it. He doesn't even like me cleaning the cage each day, but he will tolerate that, its just the major clean he hates and I think thats because I have to get inside the cage to do it. :45: Will be more careful next time.

bill

Jul 2, 2006
victoria,Australia
Parrots
lorikeets and gc conures
I dont know how strong grey's beaks are but I could only imagine. ouchy.:( THe y do get protective of their little piece of birdie paradise dont they.

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
[/quote=bill]I dont know how strong grey's beaks are but I could only imagine. ouchy.:( THe y do get protective of their little piece of birdie paradise dont they.[/quote]

They are not the strongest of parrots beaks, but when its clamped round you hand its strong enough :D

no pics of the battle wounds? :(

No pics I'm afraid, Luckily they are not to bad, not as bad as they looked after he first let go,

At the end of the day, it was totally my fault, I know he hates me in his home, so I shouldn't have had my hand sticking out of the bars. I was trying to play up to it today and he just looked at my hand and said "Oh its gone" That was it sympathy over. :D

Alison

Jan 19, 2006
Massachusetts
Parrots
B&G Macaw, CAG, Moustache Parrot Quaker, 4 Tiels, 2 Keets
Ouch! I know exactly how you feel. I'll never forget the female Eclectus that I had at the shelter. (They are approximately the same size as the CAG's). I was petting another bird, and had my hand resting on her cage. Well she got ahold of my index finger and wouldn't let go. She was literally hanging from my finger and not holding the cage at all. I thought she had let go when she fell to the bottom of the cage, but she hadn't. Turned out that she fell when my finger tip tore 3/4 of the way off. I ended up in the ER from that little encounter. They were able to save my finger tip, but boy did it hurt! :eek: Therefore, I can sympathize with you. ;)

bill

Jul 2, 2006
victoria,Australia
Parrots
lorikeets and gc conures
This turns out to be a very dangerous hobby by the sounds of things hey. We all need to think about a health and safety representative I think. lol.:D

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
We all need to think about a health and safety representative I think. lol.

Looks like you get the job Bill, lol:D CONGRATULATIONS

As long as you always remember to read the birds body language its fine, unfortunately we get caught up and seem to forget every now and then. I'm sure that in my lifetime and Buccs I'm gonna get quite a few more bites. :D

Maybe our health and safety representative can come up with something. :45: :D

bill

Jul 2, 2006
victoria,Australia
Parrots
lorikeets and gc conures
My first statement as health and safety rep would be.GET USED TO IT OR GIVE UP. ha ha ha.:p You are right on. Body language is what it is all about but we do miss the signs sometimes hey.But we are soon reminded the hard way.Sametimes dobby gets angry and when she bites she bites hard and it is sore for days. gotta luv em.:)

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
My first statement as health and safety rep would be.GET USED TO IT OR GIVE UP. ha ha ha.

Thats what I like a health and safety rep who's full of compassion. :04: :jumping40 lol

Most Reactions