Agressive To New Parakeet???

Lilly Bird

Jul 4, 2006
Media
IL
Parrots
Parakeet Named Lilly
Ok, so my parakeet, Lilly was agressive from the 1st day we had her. We worked with her alot, but she seemed to get worse. Then, yesterday is my birthday, and we got another parakeet. Lilly didn't exactly like the intruder in her cage and started biting the new bird. He doesn't know to stand up to her so he gets pecked badly. We felt so bad, we put them in separate cages overnight. We didn't trust Lilly. Is there a certain way to introduce them? Is There a way to make Lilly nicer to poor Dewey???

Please Help Me! I really am worried!

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Keep them in separate cages for the time being, it may mean they will never be able to or want to share a cage, gradually move the cages closer together (if possible) In time they may become best friends but may not want to share a cage ever. Let them set the pace, don't try to rush them.

As for making Lily nicer to Dewey I really don't think we can ever make birds do something they really don't want to do. Try to make a point of giving Lily her food/water/treats etc first.

Maybe you can tell us all about Dewey, and keep us informed on how you are getting on.

OP
Lilly Bird

Lilly Bird

Jul 4, 2006
Media
IL
Parrots
Parakeet Named Lilly
Well, Dewey is a all yellow parakeet (Looks more like a Canary :) ) And i got him for my Birthday. He seems nicer than LIlly because he already goes on our finger. He has a pretty chirp and is very happy. He uses ALL of his toys, (Even the ones Lilly doesn't like) He even goes on the swing, that lilly is terrified of!!! He chirped the whole drive home from the shop, and tweets 24/7!!! He is adorable and cute! He is begining to get his markings, but they are VERY faint. The only thing that puts him apart from a canary, is two white marks on his cheeks and his size. Well once i get to know him better, i will write more.

Oh, one more thing! Lilly is being meaner to me, now that we put Dewey in there!!!

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
It could be her way of letting you know she is not happy with the new intruder in her house. Try to perservere with her, she may come round. Also be prepared that she may never come round to liking Dewey, and you may have to move them to different parts of the room, or however you had them before.

I'm no expert here just going by how my little ones are. We have a red rump who will bully our little bourkes, but now that she's in a different cage she's quite happy. When they are out she dosen't bother them at all, and they all come out at the same time.

Have you let Lily out at the same time as Dewey, (are they flighted) that would be the tester, but only you can see when they are ready for this, or you for that matter. Just be with them all the time when this happens and be prepared to have to step in.

OP
Lilly Bird

Lilly Bird

Jul 4, 2006
Media
IL
Parrots
Parakeet Named Lilly
Well, as a test, 2day we put Lilly in as a test, to see how she would act. She doesn't like the other cage as much, so she lightened up on dewey. She actually jumped on to the swing with him(To be nice! NOT to attack him!)

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Thats a really great step. If you are prepared to that make sure that you praise her up all the time she is being nice. Looks like you are doing a great job.

I'm sure that we'll be reading soon that they are best buddies. :D

OP
Lilly Bird

Lilly Bird

Jul 4, 2006
Media
IL
Parrots
Parakeet Named Lilly
...hopfully. We had to remove her for being mean again. She made it through the night but attacked in the morning!

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Thats interesting, In that case I would allow Lilly into the cage during the day (if she's nice to Dewey) and in the evening remove her to her cage.

You're doing a really great job and in the end all your hard work is gonna pay off. Well done.

nathalie

Sep 5, 2006
Lilly,
I think you have to give them some time - keep talking to both of them from time to time. Keep the cages near each other so that they can see each other throughout the day.
And sometimes, under your supervision take Lilly to Dewey's cage - and allow them to play. If Lilly gets aggressive - just bring her out and put her back to the cage, without talking to her at all. And then donot talk to her for another 30 minutes - but do talk in a very soft voice to Dewey. Let Lilly understand that you are not appreciating this.
And I think, you will have two happy birds at home - after a few days.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Sarah, is there any update on Lily?????? Let us know how they are getting on.:D

OP
Lilly Bird

Lilly Bird

Jul 4, 2006
Media
IL
Parrots
Parakeet Named Lilly
Well, I have some bad news... We had to get rid of Dewey...:( He had somthing wrong with him. He wouldn't let us touch him, Or get within 5 feet, without jumping off the perch. He would throw himself at the walls and he started being agressive. But Lilly is making progress, She comes on our finger!!!

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I am so sorry Sarah, Did you find out why he started doing this?? :( :(

I do wish both you and Lilly all the best. Keep us updated on how you are both getting on. :07: Keep up the good work with Lilly, you are doing great with her.

OP
Lilly Bird

Lilly Bird

Jul 4, 2006
Media
IL
Parrots
Parakeet Named Lilly
She...on the Good side... :) Is coming on my hand willingly. She jumps on and CHIRPS HER LITTLE HEART OUT!!! :)

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
:jumping40 That is great news. All the training can be made in giant steps from now on. WELL DONE BOTH OF YOU.

OP
Lilly Bird

Lilly Bird

Jul 4, 2006
Media
IL
Parrots
Parakeet Named Lilly
What was SOOOO cute today, i put my face up to part of the cage that is hard for her to get to, and she got all upset cuz she couldn't come by me!!! How cute is she???:D

OP
Lilly Bird

Lilly Bird

Jul 4, 2006
Media
IL
Parrots
Parakeet Named Lilly
Ok. She is so adorable! Here is a pic of one that is IDENTICAL to lilly(But it isn't her!) Tell me what you think!

blueparakeet_3cb9b.jpg

:D

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Sarah, she looks beautiful. I'm sure that now she has started to make progress she is gonna continue and before you know it she will be climbing all over you. Don't get disheartened if it takes a while, just keep doing what you are doing now, it is well worth it. Keep us informed. :D

OP
Lilly Bird

Lilly Bird

Jul 4, 2006
Media
IL
Parrots
Parakeet Named Lilly
Thanks, I think she was the prettiest out of the bunch (Cuz she was!!!) :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts