View Single Post
Old 03-15-2017, 12:57 PM
Parrots:
Boo & Peach, mated pair of cockatiels
itzjbean is on a distinguished road
Re: My perspective on my birds lives

I'm so sorry you are feeling this way and are going through this. I looked up your previous thread about the Miracle Gro and your birds, no judgement here -- I know exactly what you are going through.

I was a lot like you at 16. I loved animals so much, and when I got my first cockatiels at 13, they seemed to fill a void in me that nothing else could quite fit into. They depended on me for everything -- food, water, socialization and love. I also never realized what it really took to care for them, and how ill-equipped I really was. Back then, I spent a lot of my time at practice swimming, and didn't have a job. I didn't have money to take them to the vet. They began making too much noise for my parents, so I was forced to
move their cage to our unfinished basement.

Long story short, both cockatiels ended up dying. Once moved to the basement they got sick, and since I didn't have the money to bring them to the vet or parents that really cared about them that much, that's how it ended up for them. I should have rehomed them because I just didn't have the right resources and it just was NOT fair to my birds. I only realized it too late.

At the end of the day, you have to ask yourself logically. Do I have the resources, the money, the time for my birds that they deserve? What is best for me? What is best for the birds? Am I giving sub-par care? Could they be better suited with someone who can give them the right care?

People can give you advice of all kinds, but what it comes down to is what you think is right. No one can force you to give up your birds, so you have to decide if the care you are providing them is fair for them. So at 16, if you don't have the right resources (no money, transportation, time) then it may be best to rehome them.

Stop worrying about the potentially bad homes they could get rehomed to. Technically I could get hit by a car and die on my way home from work, but it's one of those things you just can't really get too inside your own head about. What is best for your birds?

Also about the foestering thing, it sounds great for you, but for birds constantly being moved and switched back and forth between households is VERY stressful. It would not be good for them.

Last edited by itzjbean; 03-15-2017 at 01:14 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to itzjbean For This Useful Post:
Anansi  (03-18-2017), SailBoat Supporting Member (03-15-2017)