Alison, you'd be proud of me.. maybe?

MKay

Jan 25, 2006
Media
Ohio
Parrots
Pionus, YNA, WB caiques, quakers, goffin, lovebirds, GC conure, parakeet,
It used to wonder me, why some folks were so quick to tell us that we should not start breeding our birds, "there are so many out there that need homes," adopt, don't buy from a store.. etc. As I am not an activist for either side, I can see more and more why folks are trying so hard to stop hobby breeders. Now, don't get me wrong, I didn't say I'm stopping! I just said that I do understand. Partly because most of my friends now own at least one or more of my own babies, and I have to seriously think about who I will allow to go back to nest. And if I don't allow a pair or two to continue to breed, how will that affect the pair, emotionally? After all, it is their instinct to procreate, especially when they've already been through a full cycle or two.

The other day, I met with a lady who some friends recommended us to. She dropped out of a well-known "rescue" due to a few reasons, one being that it was becoming a money-maker for the leaders, instead of a venue for finding the right home for the parrots needing new homes. She and a few others started a network, and have been taking in birds and rehoming them, the right way. What surprised me, is that for 3yrs now, they've rehomed I-don't-know-how-many parrots, and not one has been a plucker or a 'problem bird.' Most of these parrots have either lost their owner or been passed on to the next generation who cannot accept them, some owners have fallen ill, etc. Many, many reasons.. my point is, I guess we never really know how many birds are out there needing homes until we come into contact with someone who can bring you in to that understanding with their experiences. I was able to see first-hand in her home how she, herself has allowed some of these birds to stay with her, she has a magnificent area for them.

I had already decided to ease up on my own few pairs that I breed, but meeting this lady and hearing her speak of the groups mission and accomplishments, and what she has coming in next week.. I didn't realize there was such a steady flow of parrots needing homes. Yes, you see people post about it all the time, but it's just words on a screen. You really have to live it and see it to hear it, at least in my case. I would consider it only briefly, but to hear the story of the sweet little goffin that came home with us, I realized it was just a drop in the ocean.

Yes, we brought home a new family member. Peaches is a 6-yr-old goffin, so very timid. His owner developed emphysema. Doctor's orders; if you are familiar with emphysema, you know that it causes the patient to have more and more difficulty taking in and exhaling air. It becomes more difficult for the lungs to expand and retract, air sacs weaken and break, elasitcity of the lungs is lost and the airway is easily obstructed.. it's heartbreaking that she had to give up her parrots, but the dander could suffocate her.

Peaches and I just had a shower a little while ago. He's going to fit in well with our family. My daughters are being patient, but they can hardly wait to snuggle with him all day long. Right now, he's most comfortable with me. Say hi, he's here on my shoulder. (( All of my birds are held in front--none sit on shoulders, but this one is a shoulder bird, and I'm not changing that as long as he is always so pleasant! )) Though he's been vet-checked (just so happens my avian vet is involved with this group and offers his services.. ) he will be kept clear of the other bird areas for the next few months. Here's the handsome guy...

Attachments

• Peaches 2-15-06.jpg
    Peaches 2-15-06.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 249

Alison

Jan 19, 2006
Massachusetts
Parrots
B&G Macaw, CAG, Moustache Parrot Quaker, 4 Tiels, 2 Keets
Yes, we brought home a new family member. Peaches is a 6-yr-old goffin, so very timid.

Thats great MKay! I'm so glad you opened your home to a bird in need and I am proud of you! :D

Yes, you see people post about it all the time, but it's just words on a screen. You really have to live it and see it to hear it,

I am very glad that you got to see it first hand and see that we are not exaggerating on the sheer numbers of birds in need of homes. "Words on a screen" That is precisely why it is so hard to get it across to people that there really are alot of birds in need of homes. I talked till I was blue in the face on the other board, but it didn't matter with some people, they just wouldn't accept it as true because they had never witnessed it themselves, or as is the case with some, they just didn't care. Some did get it though, so I know that not all my attempts were in vain. As you know, for the most part, I have simply agreed to disagree on breeding issues in order to keep the peace. I really got tired of going toe to toe, over and over again with people whom I actually like and respect for their knowledge, but happen to dissagree with on that one issue. I still firmly believe that there are way too many baby birds being dumped into an already saturated market, but at least (legitimate) Rescues and breeders have finally come together on one aspect: Mill breeders operating disgusting facilities and illegal importers who kill hundreds of innocent babies in their smuggling efforts, need to be stopped. That is something all bird lovers can agree on. Common ground that unites even us stubborn people ;) .

Michael

Jan 24, 2006
Media
Pennsylvania, USA
Parrots
Australian King Parrots
Lesser Jardines
Senegals
Red Bellied
Moustache Parakeets
Green Cheek Conure Mutations
Peachface Lovebirds
Scarlet Chested Parakeet
Painted Conures
Military Macaw
I finally got to meet Peaches. How handsome he looks! I know he'll have a great life with you, MKay.

Michael

OP
MKay

MKay

Jan 25, 2006
Media
Ohio
Parrots
Michael, thank you. You, of all people know how devoted I will be to him, as I am to all of my family!! Someone I work with today asked me if I had wanted more children, you know how when you plan a family when you're younger, how many kids you will have, etc. I remember thinking I'd have a huge family, as my mother had six of us. Well, I have two human daughters, but the rest are non-human and still cared for as thoroughly as my own offspring are!

Alison, I wonder if you've ever handfed babies? It is so gratifying, and a uniquely comforting experience. That is why I do have a few pairs that breed. I may be selfish, but the whole handfeeding experience is gratifying beyond comprehension unless you've had the experience yourself. I don't breed any large parrots, just lovebirds, quakers and parrotlets thus far. I do have a caique pair that we may or may never share the same experience with. No large parrots, which I thought were the only 'rescue' cases out there unless they were the bird-mill or mass breeder scenerios. Now I know that all species need rescuing, even if they're not "problem birds" as many describe.

Alison

Jan 19, 2006
Massachusetts
Parrots
B&G Macaw, CAG, Moustache Parrot Quaker, 4 Tiels, 2 Keets
Alison, I wonder if you've ever handfed babies?

Actually, yes I have, many of them in fact. Many years ago I worked at a pet shop that raised their own babies. He had a large breeding aviary build out on his home property. I was one of the handfeeders for him, as well as running the store itself. I have handfed everything from Parrotlets to Macaws.

Now I know that all species need rescuing, even if they're not "problem birds" as many describe.

A sad truth indeed. Not all birds in shelters are problems. Some come in that were in fact very well cared for. But they have all suffered a trauma none the less, they lost their family, and they don't know why.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
What a truly wonderful thread this is, I have had really enjoyed reading it and seeing the replies. I too was unaware of how many rescue birds there are out there, probably because over here we don't hear about Parrot Rescues, only dogs cats, etc.

For my part I would love to see this Animal Shelters/Rescues all shut down, and why? well it would mean that no animal is being mis-treated or abused, or even unwanted. Wouldn't that be nice, As it stands we are so lucky to have people like Alison and all the other people who dedicate their lives to helping Animals. A very big and heartfelt THANKS to them all.

Also over here a lot of the larger parrots end up in a Shelter and they don't get re-homed, they stay there for the rest of their lives. That will be something to research how many will actually re-home here!!

Thanks for the interesting thread.

OP
MKay

MKay

Jan 25, 2006
Media
Ohio
Parrots
I haven't had much time to reply to posts, barely checking in and out as the days here have been busy.. but I figured I'd mention that though we are all discouraged from breeding in our homes, I'm glad that I have these experiences. Not only because I'm able to watch the babies grow, change, and then assure they go to good homes, but because I've seen enough lives lost in this world; between working with Hospice patients, and Emergency Room cases, there have been many deaths witnessed. Watching lives being brought into this world is a wonderful thing. I suppose if I do cease to breed any birds, I'd have to work in a neonatal ward to continue to share that joy.

The lady I met the other day, with this parrot group network, said herself that if it were not for private breeders, she wouldn't have her parrot(s). They just do not come that sweet from the stores.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I must say that I agree, while adopting is great not everyone is able to deal with the baggage that an adopted parrot could have.

If a person wants to breed their birds they should be able to do so as long as money isn't the main reason for doing so and we make sure they go to good and loving homes.

I think this is another very controversial issue and each person must make up their own minds about this.

OP
MKay

MKay

Jan 25, 2006
Media
Ohio
Parrots
Well, considering I practically give my babies to their new owners, it's safe to say it's not a money-maker for me! Some have stayed here, and that is why our flock has grown in the past year. But I do believe it is time to break.

I honestly think that if breeding were regulated, if there were mandated guidelines in place that would prevent mass-breeding or irresponsible, neglectful breeding, we would not have the problem that exists. Maybe if there were permits that had to be obtained, I'd be all for that. But there are much larger woes on our horizon, with worry over war and terrorism taking the front seat. I just wish that more people would at the very least take pride in the parrots, and put more of an effort into keeping them in clean, healthy environments. The ones that think they're going to make a buck are spinning their wheels, losing babies and spreading diseases.

Most Reactions

Latest posts