View Single Post
Old 07-19-2017, 11:32 AM
Parrots:
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilianís Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Thanked 8,967 Times in 3,611 Posts
SilverSage will become famous soon enough
Re: Taking Your Parrot Places

1) occasionally we have a noise issue. When we do, we go outside and calm down. It's usually Kaleo being overstimulated or Glorie being a diva.

2) I use flight suits if I'm going to be out alone. If I'm going out with my husband or a freind, I give them a ziplock of baby wipes and we literally watch each other's backs; for poop! And my birds are small so yes they poop every 5-15 minutes. I minimize this by feeding meals instead of free feeding and taking the bird out BEFORE a meal instead of AFTER.

3) it depends on the bird. Glorie, my cockatiel, loves attention and I can hand her to anyone. I literally call her my imaginary bird because she has NEVER bitten anyone. Ever. I can hand her a child even and my only concern is being sure the child doesn't hurt her.

Nohea, one of my Ringneck, is similar but she chews harder. I use discretion.

Kaleo, another of my Ringnecks, doesn't bite people but she does try to get back to the safety of my shoulder, so I only let people pet her, not hold her.

Titan, one of my GCCs, will take the finger off a stranger if they spoil her, so I just tell people no, she prefers to stay on my shoulder.

Bottom line it depends on the bird, situation, and the stranger. Ultimately it is MY job to keep MY birds safe; no one is going to do it for me.

I have made children cry when I took my bird back because they wouldn't stop squeezing her. I have had adults get quite cross when I have physically pushed their hand away as they reached for a shy bird on my shoulder. I have had to learn to establish my course of action ahead of time and not hesitate to act upon it if necessary.

I also have strategies for making each interaction as pleasant as possible. For example I warn ladies wearing wedding bands "Glorie loves bling and she will try to remove your diamonds; you might want to use your other hand" or "Nohea loves to hang out with strangers but she isn't really into being petted." Or when a child really wants to touch the bird but is also afraid to, I suggest they pet the tip of the tail. I do this because a nervous child is often very forceful with their petting just because of nerves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Anansi  (07-20-2017)