~*Im gettin a Quaker lol*~

MLB

Dec 27, 2006
WI
Parrots
Sulfur Crested Cockatoo ~ Blue Quaker to be
Next month on the 14th I will be going to a bird show to meet some gal to get my new Quaker baby...I think he's like 4-5 months old and just startung to talk:D . I am so exited....gonna name him Tyran...I love naming my pets something that you wouldnt normally hear:) So I will post pics as soon as I get him.

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
awww I love quakers...
they are so cute, I want one.... but what I have now is enough for me....

for now :D

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
How about putting a notice up in our Bird Shows section, just letting everyone know when and where it is.

Hope you take lots of pics for us all to see.

That is great news on your baby. I look forward to seeing lots of pics of him.

Oh don't forget to let us know his hatchdate, so I can add it. :D

I love the quakers they are amazing.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
Oh, how I hate being the "BUZZ KILL" but, I think that you should know that MANY states have regulations reguarding Quakers ... Check out this link and make sure that your state allows Quaker ownership!

http://quakerville.com/QIC/statelaw.asp

(the only reason I know this is that a book published in 2002 said that in my state you were not allowed to own quakers, but this site [which was last updated in 2004] says that they are ok now ... please do a touch of research before you get your new friend ... )

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Its always good to point that out, I forget sometimes, not having any restrictions here, just don't see a lot of them here. :( Wisconsin is "Legal with no restrictions"

OP
MLB

MLB

Dec 27, 2006
WI
Parrots
I usually check all of that stuff before buying a bird as I dont want to get stuck in a sticky situation. I will post pics of the fair and Tyran as soon as I get back...its on the 14th of this month...13 more days YEAH:D :D :D

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Bet you two are getting really excited now, I know I'm getting excited for ya both. :D

OP
MLB

MLB

Dec 27, 2006
WI
Parrots
what kind of bird are you getting Kelli?

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
well if you've read any of the previous posts you will find one where I am having a relly tough time deciding which species I want to add next! I mean there are so many choices it is so hard! but after wanting a sunc conure then a green cheek then a quaker I am back at sun conure! I know they can be very loud but I just love their personality more than any other species!!! so hopefully soon I will be bringing home my baby - I will be gone next weekend then when I get back i get my baby!!!!! Congrats to you! did I read right that you are 15? I am 16 where do you live maybe we could be email pen pals or something --Kelli

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
Ok, no more buzz kill, promise! I too am getting my first 'sunny' I was picked and then the personality and the cuddliness just sealed the deal! What makes this even more interesting ... I am going to try a sunny while living in an apartment ... :eek: Hopefully I can get the training down, and quickly!:D

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Ok, no more buzz kill,

:D :D Hey its always nice for someone out there to be thinking properly, I forget all the rules and regulations you have over there regarding Quakers.

Also did you know that if anything changes with the laws in your state and you tell the authorities that you have a "Monk Parakeet" most of them don't realise that they are one and the same species. :D Not that I'm suggesting anyone breaks the law you understand. :D

Eclectica

Oct 8, 2006
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Dory - Cockatiel
I got a green cheek for christmas! I didnt buy it, so it was petshop bought, have to get it sexed so i can know if its male or female. Still a little dodgy, dont want to be out alot, but im handrearing, so i cant exactly play with it when it has a full crop. So for now i cuddle a little and feed!

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
... that you have a "Monk Parakeet" most of them don't realise that they are one and the same species. :D Not that I'm suggesting anyone breaks the law you understand. :D

Ya know what is funny, I didn't think my apartment manager would be too keen on having a PARROT (sun conure) in the building ... but when I said SUN PARAKEET it seemed like it was OK ... again, one in the same species ... but for those who are dumb ... I really don't mind exploiting that! :D

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
isn't a parakeet technically any brightly colored bird with a long tail or something like that correct me if i'm wrong

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
No, I have Lineolated Parrakeets, they are not brightly coloured or have the long tail.

Maybe years ago, that was the definition, not sure. I'll have to check on that one. :D

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I'm still trying to find something that will tell us definately. Maybe before us Humans started interferring, making all the different colours we see now days. If I manage to get any info I'll post a link.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
Ya know what is funny, I didn't think my apartment manager would be too keen on having a PARROT (sun conure) in the building ... but when I said SUN PARAKEET it seemed like it was OK ... again, one in the same species ... but for those who are dumb ... I really don't mind exploiting that! :D

So, I got the offical word today from the BIG MANAGER (the first person I asked when I wrote this was only the assistant ... ) and when I talked to her I used the word PARAKEET and she said, "Oh, I love budgies ... "

...:eek:...

"damn, I am in trouble here" I thouhght to myself ...

"... What kind, what color? I really miss my TJ," she said, "he just passed away. He used to talk up a storm."

I said, "That's very sad, but we want to get what they call a Sun Parakeet."

"Well, you know, CONURES can be loud, and as long as you don't violate any of the noise rules you are going to be OK ... "

:34: "S&$*! My cover was blown!":eek: (who knew my apaprtment manager has/used the term 'FIDS' during our dicussion ... guess she's not all that bad!)

But in the long run, we got the OK ... now we only have to wait a week or so and the little one will be home!

Most Reactions

Latest posts