New Mum

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I am shortly to be a new Mum, to yet another CAG, it should happen by at least June, so I am now on countdown. Not sure what Bucc will make of the new addition, but he has handled all the other pets pretty well so one more won't make any difference. I hope. I have been speaking to the breeder and have let her know when I was thinking of and she has told me that won't be a problem. Just have to hope that the parent CAG's do what they are supposed to do without any problems. LOL I'll keep you all informed and will certainly post some pics when the happy day gets here. It could happen sooner that we think as we were supposed to get Bucc in June but he came along in May, so fingers crossed.

Suzanne

Dec 30, 2005
Washington State
Parrots
Congo African Grey
greylady said:
I am shortly to be a new Mum, to yet another CAG, it should happen by at least June, so I am now on countdown. Not sure what Bucc will make of the new addition, but he has handled all the other pets pretty well so one more won't make any difference. I hope. I have been speaking to the breeder and have let her know when I was thinking of and she has told me that won't be a problem. Just have to hope that the parent CAG's do what they are supposed to do without any problems. LOL I'll keep you all informed and will certainly post some pics when the happy day gets here. It could happen sooner that we think as we were supposed to get Bucc in June but he came along in May, so fingers crossed.
Hey, congrats!!! Hope all goes well with your new baby. By the way, do you think Greys actually know their names at some point??? Hubby wanted me to ask you.

Last edited:
OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I think they do, when I call Bucc he will say "what" or look over at me. I know a lady who got a grey, thought it was a boy so gave it a boys name, then had it DNA sexed and it turned out to be a girl, she tried to change its name but she wouldn't take any notice of her. In the end she kept the boys name, but would say good girl instead of boy, that seems to have worked. I also know a someone who says that NO they do not know their name. Hope this all makes sense my fingers won't seem to type what I mean to say!!!!! LOL

9Catsz

Jan 24, 2006
Media
Missouri
Parrots
Peachfaced lovebirds, Timneh African greys
They most certainly do learn their names. They are amazing animals and can learn the meanings of words and phrases. I have a TAG that says "nite, nite birds." every night when I turn the lights off. He NEVER says that at any other time of the day. I know this because I have a video monitoring system in there and I've never heard him say it except at the appropriate time.

When you get a new bird, most likely your old one will not like it at first. It will take some time before he gets used to the new bird.

Alison

Jan 19, 2006
Massachusetts
Parrots
B&G Macaw, CAG, Moustache Parrot Quaker, 4 Tiels, 2 Keets
Gwen knows his name. I too tried to change his name when I found out 'she' was a 'he'. Every time I tried to call him his new name, he yelled 'NO!' at me and then in a sweet voice say, 'Gwen's a pretty bird'. So Gwen it is. Also, when I ask him if Gwen a pretty bird, he bobs up and down and gets all excited. When I ask him if Kiwi, another bird, is a pretty bird, he gets mad and says 'NO!'. LOL Doesn't like the competition.....

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Alison said:
Gwen knows his name. I too tried to change his name when I found out 'she' was a 'he'. Every time I tried to call him his new name, he yelled 'NO!' at me and then in a sweet voice say, 'Gwen's a pretty bird'. So Gwen it is. Also, when I ask him if Gwen a pretty bird, he bobs up and down and gets all excited. When I ask him if Kiwi, another bird, is a pretty bird, he gets mad and says 'NO!'. LOL Doesn't like the competition.....

Don't you go upsetting Gwen again. LOL

Alison

Jan 19, 2006
Massachusetts
Parrots
B&G Macaw, CAG, Moustache Parrot Quaker, 4 Tiels, 2 Keets
LOL Not to worry, that was years ago. :) I wouldn't dream of messing with his name now. Besides, I'd never hear the end of it from Gwen! :D

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I'm glad that you've learned your lesson, and finally know who is the boss in your household. LOL :D :p

Most Reactions

Latest posts