I got it!!!

slayor

Jan 1, 2007
Media
My little sisters friend had a parakeet and sadly it died she still has the cage etc. my sis is going there today to get it!!!!

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
That is great. Please remember to give it a really good clean out as soon as you get it and before you put a bird in there. You can use a weak bleach solution (as soon as you get the cage) 1 part bleach 10 parts water. When you are ready to put a bird in then give it another clean with some proper bird cage cleaner.

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
if you want a tame parakeet try going to a store where there aren't a ton of them in one cage you will have more chance to interact and find the one you want!

Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Popsicle the Senegal Parrot &
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
I know some pet stores haves parakeets already hand tamed, but it is also good practice to learn how to hand tame yourself. If your up for the challenge, chances are you will end up getting bitten quite a bit, but after the first couple it doesn't really hurt anymore.
When picking out your bird, don't go for the one with the colors you like the best, try and see if a bird will pick you. Usually they will have better personalities.
Another good cleaner I use alot is vinegar/water solution. Works great for food and water dishes and it is not toxic to birds.

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
Great point when I was picking out Misty I wanted a Lutino but everytime I went to the other side of the pen to try to pick him up Misty came running at me and hopped at my hand I would set her down on the other side but she was so persistent I figured it was ment to be!

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
All of mine have picked me (apart from Errol and Flynn, but they were too weak to worry about anything much.)

When I was picking my Bourkes I wanted another one, but these bourkes were so insistent and sat on my Son's finger all the time, When we were getting ready to leave Charlie (male) got right inside his pocket so that was that, he just had to come home with us then.:D Even now, Charlie can be found with my son, and sitting in his pocket with his head sticking out the top. No matter how hard I try I cannot stop him from doing this. :eek:

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
All of mine have picked me...

I was picked too, the fiancee and I were looking at a Jardine's Parrot and Hamlet was clinging to his cage, on the other side of the room, just flappin' his little wings for all they were worth (come to find out this was a sign that conures want to be with you ... :D )

Most Reactions

Latest posts