birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
go to petco.com or petsmart to get a good estimate I did this many times when I was considering a bird - click on everything you want and add it up.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
go to petco.com or petsmart to get a good estimate I did this many times when I was considering a bird - click on everything you want and add it up.

Then fall over when you see the cost ... make sure you have something soft behind you to comfort the fall ... then, remember the food, the toys, the chewables have to be repurchased ... :eek:

Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Popsicle the Senegal Parrot &
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
That depends really on what type of bird you plan on getting. Bigger the bird more expensive the cage, toys, and food. I know that Pepsi my Amazon has toys that cost $20 each that lasts less then an hour before they are destroyed. :rolleyes:

OP
slayor

slayor

Jan 1, 2007
Media
I posted this under the parakeets budgies for a reason, I'm getting a parakeet, so the cage is about $75 and toys wont be that hard food i can buy on a monthly basis [$35] and theres a cheap pet store and my b-day is coming up I'll probably get a cage and heres a great site

Bird.com it's 58% off! its got cages supplies food etc.

[ not being a no it all]

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
great while don't u post apic of the cage? I would love to see which one you pick out - have you got a name yet? what color parakeet are you getting?

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
They have some lovely cages there, and a good price, Also think about the cage carefully, you need to visualise it with toys in and make sure that the bird you get is gonna have enough room to play and stretch his wings out.

Toys, if you have birds like some of my little ones they will chew through wood in no time, so make sure you have a lot of them. Also try getting some Acrylic ones. Practically indestructible, but they'll have loads of fun trying to demolish them. :D I have just ordered Bucc one for £29 ($57 approx) :eek: His last one lasted him about a month.:eek: :18:

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
Actually, I have ordered from bird.com once and had pretty good luck with them ... the only thing that I see wrong with your info Slayor is that you really don't want to buy food on a MONTHLY basis ... if you could do it every two weeks or so you would be giving fresher food to your new bird. Think about if your parents/adult care takers only went to the grocery once a month and only bought your favorite fruit/veggies then.

I really hope that your search continues to go well, and as soon as you get your budgie, get some pics up!

Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Popsicle the Senegal Parrot &
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
This is budgies, parakeets & cockatiels. Maybe you were thinking of getting a cockatiel which would require a larger cage then a budgie. You don't seem to want any of my advice on the situation but I'm gonna give some anyways. Don't read it if you don't want to.

Try looking in newspaper ads, or at any used goods stores (Value Village, Salvation Army Thrift stores, etc.) You can probably get a good cage at one of these, but make sure to give it a really good cleaning.

Perches are another very important purchase that can cost a bit of money, you will need more then the little wooden ones cages come with. You want some varying in different sizes to work the muscles in a birds foot, which is very important. The orthopedic cement ones work great becuase the perch varies in size and will help wear down the birds nails. Only disadvantage to these are when they poop on them, what a pain to clean.

Peta and Tex give great advice on toys. Acrylic make great toys (my little buggers won't play with them though so I go through toys quickly) Fresh fruits and veggies is a must for your bird, so make sure your parents buy some when they grocery shop.

Good luck with you bird.

NicoleN

Jan 15, 2007
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Sisqo & GiGi-DYH & BF Amazons

Snow & Blue-Budgies
Only disadvantage to these are when they poop on them, what a pain to clean.

Amen to that..Sooo frustrating sometimes!

Also Slayor, as far as perches go, stay away from the ones that are basically sand paper. They hurt the birds feet and they get sores and stuff on them. I don't see them so much in stores, but I've come across a few here and there on the internet.

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
tell you what I will go to petco or petsmart websight and make you a good list of what I would get if I were in your shoes.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
And what you get for Bucc, you'll have to get for Kito ... £29 x 2 = £58 ($114 approx)

Yeah, then there's the little fellas, :eek: Of course once they have all theirs, then the dogs and cat, Hmmmmmmmm wonder if thats why I'm always broke.:D

Perches are another very important purchase that can cost a bit of money, you will need more then the little wooden ones cages come with. You want some varying in different sizes

Yeah Think I've spent more money on perches for kito than anything else. I never use the wooden ones that come with the cage, but they come in real handy for making extra wooden toys that everyone can demolish in a matter of mins. :D

Acrylic make great toys (my little buggers won't play with them though so I go through toys quickly)

Thats a shame its great fun watching Bucc try to demolish his ones, he gets so mad when he can't make a dent in them.

The little guys can't quite understand why they can't do any damage. Gemini gets in a real strop. :18: Ends up sulking all evening.

Kelly that is really nice of you.

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
ok as you can see that little parakeet can cost alot more than the intial 10 bucks you might pay for him. you can modify this list as you wish - You will definitly need more toys so things stay fresh and exciting. I think this cage is great for a parakeet alot more spacious than your avarage cage and the price isn't that significate - if you're going to be gone at school all day the little guy would be lucky to have it. And the various perches are a must a bird needs a rope and a cement of sorts in the cage at all times to keep the feet healthy A book might me helpful to as a quick reference guide

http://www.petco.com/Cart/petco_ShoppingCart__.aspx

OP
slayor

slayor

Jan 1, 2007
Media
great while don't u post apic of the cage? I would love to see which one you pick out - have you got a name yet? what color parakeet are you getting?
I got a name its Captain Cracker!! and I'm going to try to get him\her in orange but if not thats OK

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Slayor, what species of Parakeet are you getting, there are a lot of different ones, All my little guys are parakeets.

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Avian Select Deluxe Teardrop Small Parrot Home
25"W X 21"D X 30"H; Green/Tan
SKU: 965154
$79.99 each SALE $64.97 each

Ships Within 24 Hrs.

Remove $64.97

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avian Select Pedicure Perches
Small; 6.5"; For Parakeets
SKU: 314501
$5.99 each SALE $5.39 each

Ships Within 24 Hrs.

Remove $5.39

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avian Select 7 Step Wooden Ladder for Small Birds
11" Height; 7 Steps
SKU: 60810
$2.99 each SALE $2.69 each

Ships Within 24 Hrs.

Remove $2.69

Avian Select Small Natural Wood Bird Perch
Small; 6" Length; 1/2" Diameter,
SKU: 122327
$4.29 each SALE $3.86 each

Ships Within 24 Hrs.

Remove $3.86

Kaytee Exact Rainbow Premium Daily Nutrition for Parakeets & Lovebirds
2 lbs.
SKU: 844683
$8.99 each

Ships Within 24 Hrs.

Remove $8.99

Planet Pleasures Mini Brush
Mini
SKU: 417980
$1.99 each SALE $1.77 each

Ships Within 24 Hrs.

Remove $1.77

Avian Select Acrylic Parakeet Toy
3.5" Length; Ring & Bell
SKU: 800937
$3.99 each SALE $3.57 each

Ships Within 24 Hrs.

Remove $3.57

Multipet Birdy Buddy for Parakeets, Lovebirds, & Other Small Birds
Small; 6" High; Assorted
SKU: 721077
$6.99 each SALE $6.29 each

Ships Within 24 Hrs.

Remove $6.29

Booda Small Byrdy Bush Soft Perch
Small; 6"H
SKU: 167550
$6.49 each SALE $5.51 each

Ships Within 24 Hrs.

Remove $5.51

Hagen Bird Toy 3-pack
7" Balls, 9" Rings, 5" Lantern
SKU: 560731
$2.99 each SALE $2.67 each

Ships Within 24 Hrs.

Remove $2.67

Avian Select Small Bird Cuttlebone with Metal Holder 2-pack
4.5"H
SKU: 540706
$2.49 each

Ships Within 24 Hrs.

Remove $2.49

Prevue Pet Parakeet Park Tabletop Playpen
15"L x 13"D
SKU: 189359
$22.99 each SALE $20.67 each

Ships in 5-7 Days

total=128.87

ok here it is no pretty pics but you can go to the websight and search for it

Most Reactions

Latest posts