I'm a new member and new bird owner!

1ststatestereo

Jul 7, 2006
Hello everybody!
I just got a Brown-Headed Parrot yesterday (Ringo) and look forward to all the joy that comes along with bird ownership. I hope this is a good place for advice, because Im going to need it! Thanks !

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
macawwelcome1.gif

Hi there, and a very big welcome. This is the place to be for advise so ask away, I'm sure that we will be able to help, we have some very nice members here. We also love pics, so don't by shy get posting those pics of Ringo. lol. Have fun is the main thing.​

OP

1ststatestereo

Jul 7, 2006
Thanks a lot!
Heres my first question.... I have a two light (60 Watt bulb) track lighting in my room that my bird is facing. They are not directly on the cage, but still can be seen from his point of view. Should I move them behind him?
Thanks!

Alison

Jan 19, 2006
Massachusetts
Parrots
B&G Macaw, CAG, Moustache Parrot Quaker, 4 Tiels, 2 Keets
Hello and WELCOME! :)

Your bird lighting should be above the bird and to the rear. Are the lights artificial sunlight or just regular bulbs?

OP

1ststatestereo

Jul 7, 2006
They are just regular bulbs. Ill have some photos up tomorrow! thanks

I do have another question. I noticed today that my bird is making a noise like he is grinding his beak. I dont think he is chewing on anything. He is rubbing the top of his bottom beak against the inside bottom of his top beak? Is this ok?

Last edited:

bill

Jul 2, 2006
victoria,Australia
Parrots
lorikeets and gc conures
Hi how are you? Grinding of the beak to my knowlege is a show of the bird being content. Have you noticed it when the bird is ready to sleep? :)

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Bucc grinds his beak, a lot, (he knows its a sound I don't like, so he does it even more, I'm sure just to wind me up. lol.) He's a brat:D Look forward to seeing the pics.

bill

Jul 2, 2006
victoria,Australia
Parrots
lorikeets and gc conures
cute parrot. They are so addictive. You will start with one or two and end up with more than you ever expected. These guys will rule your world and turn it upside down but your world would not be the same without them.:D

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
They are so addictive.

Aint that the truth.

You will start with one or two and end up with more than you ever expected.

I started off with two, and now have somehow ended up with 10, number 11 following shortly.

These guys will rule your world and turn it upside down

And have you running after them 24/7

your world would not be the same without them.:D

Wouldn't be without mine for all the money in the world. My life would be empty without them.

OP

1ststatestereo

Jul 7, 2006
He is just over three months old. This was my third day with him and I believe he really warmed up to me. Do you guys only go organic when it comes to fruits and veggies for our feathered friends?

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Well I don't always go organic, but I will give the veggies a real good wash before hand, When I can get organic then I will, but they seem to go so fast in our stores. As long as they have their fruit and veg, and they have been given a good wash I'm not that worried. I do think organic is better, but thats just my opinion.

You've only had him 3 days, thats wonderful, I'm so glad that things are going good for the both of you. Please keep us updated. and post lots of pics, and stories of what he gets up to. You are going to have a wonderful time the two of you I'm sure.

Most Reactions

Latest posts