TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
So, I use good ole' newspaper in the bottom of Ham's cage. But for his play gym I'm not so sure newspaper is going to work. The main post comes through the middle of the tray and it's almost impossible to wrap newspaper around the post, which leads to part of the try not being covered, which really give Ham a target ... if you know what I mean. ;)

I think I would like to use a siftable substrait on the play gym so clean up would be a touch easier ... I am just looking to see what you all use, just to get some ideas.

~ Tex :50:

Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Popsicle the Senegal Parrot &
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
in the 20X20 cage I use those "puppy pads" and newspaper everywhere else jsut pics up so good old free classifieds!

NicoleN

Jan 15, 2007
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Sisqo & GiGi-DYH & BF Amazons

Snow & Blue-Budgies
I use the regular cage liners that I have for Sisqo's cage. I cut it from the middle to the edge, that way I can just put it around the pole. All I have to worry about is the paper sometimes separating where I cut it, but that rarely happens.

Does that make sense to you? I re-read it, and it doesn't quite make sense to me. :D

zarafia

Super Moderator
Jan 22, 2008
Ok heres a subject I can so rarely talk about with regular people:D.
Newspaper is great exept for the shiny color bits (can't remember why but stay away from those parts).
Newspaper is also really fun to shred so keep it out of reach.
Carefresh is what I use. It is fairly safe to ingest. It is nontoxic but if a baby bird in a feeding frenzy gulps it up it can clog the proventriculus. That said as long as a chick is well fed this should not happen. If the behavior is exibited the chick will likely gobble up any other substrate used and none digest well.
The Others: The rest of the bedding materials I will discuss are NOT RECOMENDED.
Corn cob; Very attractive, easy to clean. Fungus magnet. Big time. And besides the mold you can see it harbours aspergillus. Very deadly. My vet convinced me to stop using it after showing me the test results from culturing a newly opened bag. Positive for aspergillus.
Ground walnut shells (critter litter). Great for sifting. It tested positive for asper plus more stuff fresh out of the bag. Also very dusty. Stay away from it.
Pine shavings. Stay the hell away from them. Also positive on the asper. Very dusty. Also one of the foremost raptor breeder in the UK has publicly said that since moving his birds away from the pine shavings in his barm he hasn't had a single case of fungal problems.

Use Carefresh, its safe and clean (and no I dont sell it):).

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
Zarafia, while I agree with all your conclusions on what is good and not good material I would be interested in learning more about the methods used in Aspergillus testing. Was the carefresh tested? Was the test for particular species of Aspergillus or for the whole genus? The reason I ask is that many species are not pathogenic and can be found everywhere - you'd be hard pressed to find ANYTHING that could not test positive for some form of Aspergillus.

zarafia

Super Moderator
Jan 22, 2008
Sorry its been so long since I've been back here.
Yes the Carefresh was tested. Thats why my vet reccommended it. As to strains I cannot say. I can only go by what he told me.
My vet did the tests at his own expense to convince me and the folks I worked for as well as to put his own mind to rest. There was no corporate sponsorship.
Thats why I can only say I think Carefresh is the way to go.

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Sounds good to me. A vet most likely is only testing for the pathogenic strains. I'm just always a bit cautious about accepting "scientifically tested and proved" things, as many marketing agencies misapply or misuse such terminology.

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Getting our bird (a Senegal) tomorrow and I plan to use newspaper. How thick should I lay it down?

Oops, we kinda glossed over that one didn't we...

Not really my area of expertise but in my experience I'd say it really depends on what its covering (ie what the bottom of the cage is).

If the bottom of the cage is a flat plate (metal or plastic) just a couple layers might be sufficient. If it is a grill you may want more so stuff doesn't break through.

Also will it be accessible to the bird.... if so use more so they don't tear through it.

In my set up there is a grill and a pan ~6 inches below it. I line the pan with one or two layers of paper and it is easy to roll it up and pull out the mess as needed.

Perhaps Z could chime in on a better answer, but there's something to work with it you haven't figured out the right amount on your own yet.

zarafia

Super Moderator
Jan 22, 2008
Sounds good to me. A vet most likely is only testing for the pathogenic strains. I'm just always a bit cautious about accepting "scientifically tested and proved" things, as many marketing agencies misapply or misuse such terminology.

I totally agree. Pretty much everything on the market has some sort of assurance on it as to it being safe. But theres so much left out of the fine print.
Our vet was a brilliant, good guy (I have moved away from that area). What he did was to learn and make things better for all his potential patients. That and sheer intelectual curiousity. I trust him and what he told me implicitly.

Most Reactions

Latest posts