Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Popsicle the Senegal Parrot &
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
I have been reading a lot lately on bird safety and have found that many people have had problems with their birds leg bands. These bands can get caught or bent possibly causing injury. Especially be careful with the latches your bird toys be be hung with if your bird has a leg band.

Neither of my parrots have a leg band, besides I don't like them anyways. I've seen them really irritate some birds legs. If you do have one on your bird and did want it removed it can be done at the vet.

Well just a little warning to be cautious about those leg bands, you all know what are birds can get themselves into.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
Hamlet had one until his first vet visit ... the first thing the vet did was take it off ... he said that there was no real reason for the leg band after the birds leave the breeder ... The Doc was adamant about removing the band ... so we did!

~ Tex :50:

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Yeah, I'm off to the vets with Bucc to have his removed, it has started rubbing his leg, and he never leaves it alone, almost like it is really irratating him. Kito's band is already off, it moved up his leg and they had to cut it off him.

Bucc has been microchipped and Kito will be when he reaches about 16 weeks. They never free fly outside but rather safe than sorry.

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
Sidney doesn't have one but Misty does hers in closed so I don't have to worry about it pinching I was thinking about having Sidney microchipped!

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Yeah but just watch that she can't get it hooked over one of her toy clasps.

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
ok Misty really is a couch potato she just sits and lays egg we're on umber 11 no matter how many toys or things I try to interest her in she just sits there so I don't think she really minds I'm glad Sidney doesn't have one cuz he swings and climbs all over the place!

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
...I was thinking about having Sidney microchipped!

Ham's vet said the birds need to be AT LEAST 120 g before they can be microchiped ... He won't let me do it to ham cause he is too small ...

Just something to think aboooot (oh, wait, am I still in that Canadian thread??? I keep forgettin')

Most Reactions

Latest posts