What to do? Advice needed urgently!

Eclectica

Oct 8, 2006
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Dory - Cockatiel
I took Pikkie my featherless Ringneck to the best vet in South Africa. I rescued a Dikkop and he offerded to fix his wing for free. So i took him back to get the bandages removed and also took Pikkie with to try and find out what is really wrong with him.

Listen to this everyone, i got a crazy parrot! He told me " its all in his head, he is frustrated because he cant mate with you so he plucks his feathers out. There is nothing you can do about it, he looks stunning, his feathers on his head is bright and shiny. Its all in his head, he cant take not mating with you.":eek: Now that is just freaky, so now atleast i know whats wrong. I was hoping i could have gotten it fixed but guess not.

Now heres the thing. I was wondering if i should get him a girlfriend, i'm not gonna breed, i'll take the eggs out. But what do you guys think, should i let him be like this forever or try to get him right with a mate. I'm gonna buy from a breeder, so just incase he wont accept her i can return her.

Should i give it a shot, can someone give me advice on this, i want my full blooming boy back!!!:(

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
I would I've thought about the same thing with Misty cuz she wants to be a mommy soo bad. HEY idea why don't i sedn Misty over there and you can have the first ring neck cockatiels!

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Hey Wilma, Did the vet say it was a mating thing, or that he was upset that he couldn't mate with YOU, if its you then I'm not sure a mate would be anygood for him. But there again, if you did find a mate for him he may just stop fixating on you and start to take more notice of her and then start getting some feathers back. I think if it were one of mine I would have to try it and hope for the best, it may just work. It would be so nice to see that beautiful boy of yours in full feather.

Let us know what you decide.

OP
Eclectica

Eclectica

Oct 8, 2006
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Dory - Cockatiel
Yes, because he cant mate with me:eek: . So i'm wondering if i should get him a female. I'm gonna talk to some breeders who can give me advice on this behaviour. Just a little busy with tests and so on so it would only happen in march.

But i'll keep you updated of what i find out and what i'm gonna do. If anyone reads about some of this kind of behaviour i'll be happy if you can send me a link on it. Thanx guys, i'll let you know!

Wilma.:)

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I'll see what I can find out for ya. If I find anything I'll get the links to you. Good luck with your tests.

NicoleN

Jan 15, 2007
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Sisqo & GiGi-DYH & BF Amazons

Snow & Blue-Budgies
I'm a psych. major, but unfortunately I haven't had my 'Psychology of Birds' class yet ;) sooo.....I have a lot of time to kill at work, so I'll see what I can find for ya

NicoleN

Jan 15, 2007
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Sisqo & GiGi-DYH & BF Amazons

Snow & Blue-Budgies
Wow. This really is a complicated issue. There's a lot of information out there saying 'Your bird is plucking b/c it thinks your it's mate'. But there isn't anything out there saying how to solve it.

Here are a couple of websites I found that were okay:
http://www.2ndchance.info/selfpluck.htm
This basically says that if your bird accepts you as their mate, to interact more often with them

http://realmacaw.com/pages/pluck.html
This one is a survey. The end result is that birds plucked b/c there were birds from other continents in it's room

There were also a few websites I found that were the direct opposite of the 1st website I posted, and they said to spend less time with the bird. Confusing. :confused:

However, a lot of them agree to completely ignore the bird while they are plucking, and that some pluck only during breeding season and there is nothing you can do about it except give them psychological meds. Personally, I feel that we're just a Prozac happy society.

I really hope you can find a way to fix this.

OP
Eclectica

Eclectica

Oct 8, 2006
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Dory - Cockatiel
Hehe, forgot about this post. Well, i left my featherless, crazy birdie as he is. I dont want to get him a mate, im his mate afterall.:p So he's just gonna stay the way he is, cause his follicles have already died off, so yeah featherless he'll die then. He makes me crazy though!:D

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Thats great Wilma, you know how I feel about this guy, I love him to bits. :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts