Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
Hey Guys:

Anyone have any ideas as to how to desensitize birds to loud noises? This is why I ask. I want to get Hamlet outside and take him places with when we go somewhere bird friendly. But right now, if I flip a light switch and the lights come on, or if I sneeze and he is on my shoulder he always jumps and ends up on the ground. Even with a teather/leash that just isn't going to be OK if he is outside.

I know that we are talking about dealing with the "flight or fight" response that is naturally ingrained into animals. So I am guessing that the best thing that I could do is to train Ham to jump into my shirt, or jacket, when he gets scared instead of on hte floor/ground.

Anybody have any good ideas on how to go about this type of desensatizing training?

~ :50:

Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Popsicle the Senegal Parrot &
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
Sounds like Hamlet is really sensitive. Have you tried exposing Hamlet to these sudden sounds to try and get him used to them? Popsicle used to be bad but she has gotten used to things now (with the exception of the vaccuum cleaner)

You could try training him to jump in your jacket but not really to sure how to go about that :confused:

At least with the aviator harness if he jumps you can grab the leash so he don't hit the ground and it acts like a bungie. (I just love that little harness)

I can understand how you want to take him everywhere thats my plan when it warms up!!!

OP
TexDot33

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
Yeah, ya know, a quick trip out, or going out on a hike for a few hours (with my camera in hand) would be a great bonding experience ... I can't wait for it to get warmer around here ... it's coming too ... once we get past this storm tomorrow it's supposed to be in the 40s for the next few days ... and we are into March, can't wait ... can't wait.

~ :50:

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I have the best thing to get Hamlet used to noise............... I'll send them over to you.:05: If that don't work then nothing will. :D Oh and I have two of them. I'll send both just incase one don't work.

OP
TexDot33

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
I'll make room for Kito and Bucc ... I will take great care of them for you ...

you know, it's not the constant loud noise that is the issue here ... it's the sudden loud noises ...

OP
TexDot33

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
Ya know, vaccum cleaners and hair dryers aren't any issues ... in fact, Hamlet get really loud with the vaccum and hair dryer because he knows that we aren't going to stop him from squaking, that is his time to be loud ... But like I said, sneezing, light swithces ... OH, OH... everytime the toilet flushes ... it's the really wierd things ...

~ Tex :50:

Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Popsicle the Senegal Parrot &
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
I'll send Pepsi your way. She is a sudden loud noise bird, that should fix Ham... You don't get much louder than her.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I'll make room for Kito and Bucc ... I will take great care of them for you ...

you know, it's not the constant loud noise that is the issue here ... it's the sudden loud noises ...

Well actually I wasn't quite thinking about them two, it was the other two I had in mind. You Know the human kind. :D

Bucc is quite quiet unless I don't let him ride round on the vacumn, and Kito, :eek: he's real noisy especially when he sees me. Me = Food in his eyes.

Hair dryers are a thing of the past in this house, since getting the birds. I don't have the time to dry hair upstairs so I used to do it downstairs while on the go, birds came hair dryer had to go, (Teflon) :( Daughter uses on in her bedroom, but me its just blown dry now from Bucc's wings :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts