Do budgies make good pets?

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Budgies make great pets,

Is that what you are after a smaller bird? If so there are some others you could consider.

Bourkes ~ Very friendly, not nippy at all quiet but have loads of character

Lineolated ~ Friendly funny not noisey at all and again full of character.

OP
D

DeadIrishD

Jul 9, 2006
I want a bird that I can spend time with and actually hang out with.

and I know someone who is looking for a home, for their budgies, and I maybe interested

1ststatestereo

Jul 7, 2006
I had a budgie for 14 years that just died 4 or so years ago. He was found by my 4th grade teacher and won by me in a raffle we had in class. He never jumped on my finger or anything like that, but I was sooo ignorant when it came to keeping a pet bird. When I just got new brown-headed parrot, I walked in saying I needed a bird that would stay on my finger cause my budgie wouldnt. I say it is a gamble with a bird that small, but that may just be my ignorance again.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
but that may just be my ignorance again.

:D :D With Birds, of all shapes and sizes they need work, if you work with a bird he will learn to trust and love you, the bird will get onto the finger. You show them love they will show you love right back.

1ststatestereo the nice thing about this site is that we all have our own opinions about things and no one is gonna knock you for them. Do you still have your brown head, how about showing us some pictures, they are such pretty birds and we don't get to see that many here. :(

bill

Jul 2, 2006
victoria,Australia
Parrots
lorikeets and gc conures
my thought is that cockatiels make better pets as far as small pet parrots go but budgies are still sweet little thing and if you like them go for it. I would be making sure this is really what you want though because your decision does not only affect you. :D

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I would be making sure this is really what you want though because your decision does not only affect you. :D

Here here, a very true statement there.

Have you thought about rescue

OP
D

DeadIrishD

Jul 9, 2006
Kind of..... I'd just rather get them as a last resort before they had to go to a rescue.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
If thats a last resort I think you should forget them, and find a bird that you really want. Unfortunately we can't rescue every bird. The best thing you could do is to sit down and decide what bird you really want, do research and then start looking for that bird. There is a lot to take into consideration with any bird.

Please do think carefully and make sure you have decided on the right bird.

My daughter really wants a Cockatoo one day, but at the moment we have neighbours close by, and boy they can make some noise when they want to. She really doesn't have the time to dedicate to a larger bird so she is researching all she can now, for hopefully the future.

Let us know what you decide.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Welcome Nathalie, thanks for the link, looks like it contains a lot of useful information.

How bout posting a little about yourself and any birds/pets in the new members forum.

Chubbie

Mar 14, 2008
:D :D With Birds, of all shapes and sizes they need work, if you work with a bird he will learn to trust and love you, the bird will get onto the finger. You show them love they will show you love right back.:(

DeadIrishD,

budgies are great and loving birds.i agree with Peta.budgies take just a few training steps that are very simple.and attention and love.i own a pretty and well trained budgie named Chubbie.if you get a budgie and do the above,you should end up with a budgie like this:

ChubbienFurrballrfriends002.jpg

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts