help frenchie

apbdt

Mar 20, 2007
I hope someone can help me and my baby. Im not really sure how old she is I got this salmon cressted from my aunt. she llikes to pluck and pull all the time. Ive also noticed that she has a lot of white dust. she leaves it everywere. I give her a water bath with a spray bottle every other day if not once a week. she really likes it. Ive been told to take her to an avery vet, only problem is were i live we only have farm and small animal vets. Does anyone have any suggestions. I could sure use some.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I would give her more sprays, maybe once a day and make it a really good spray. Get in touch with your small animal vets, they should be able to at least give you the number of an Avian vet. The dust is so very normal.

Sorry to be so short but see your other post in Q&A. Lots of good advise there.

Birdbrain

Feb 23, 2008
Indiana
Parrots
Blue and Gold (Buster)
M2 (Pinky)
The dust is normal, she pics because she is bored. Does she have a lot of differant toys? Do you play with her a lot. I was told if you put 1 tsp of vinigar in a gal of water and use that in her spray bottle it will help her to stop picking. The idea is that you water is so hard. It is worth a try. If all else fails, send her to me and I will love her for a while. :D

Lori

Feb 26, 2008
Massachusettes
Parrots
1 Senegal Boo Boo
2 Tiels George, Sonney
1 Parakeet Pineapple
You can add pure Allow Juice to the spray to mist her. Apple cider Vinegar to her Water. Make sure there are a lot of shred-able toys to keep her busy.

NicoleN

Jan 15, 2007
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Sisqo & GiGi-DYH & BF Amazons

Snow & Blue-Budgies
Do you think she could be overpreening herself from the showers? I know someone who has a 'tiel that does this.

I agree with making sure that there are enough toys and things to keep her entertained. I also heard of another theory from a book I am reading about parrot behavior.

It's a book by Mattie Sue Athan, and basically what you do is fill the cage with so many (soft) branches and perches that the bird can't even turn around without running into a branch. The bird then has to chew all the branches down which diverts them from plucking their feathers.

She says to do this as a last resort though, when it's been decided there are no behavioral or medical issues and that the bird isn't phobic. But still, the basic concept is to focus the birds attention on something other than plucking.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
Guys, this original post is almost a year old ... Peta was the second response a day later ... I hope that Frenchie has been helped out, Cockatoos are notorious pluckers, we all know this ... and we can all give great advise about plucking, but I think that we are flogging a dead thread here ..

Most Reactions

Latest posts