quarentines in apartments

Christy

Mar 28, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
Parrots
Hamlet the Sun Conure and Mac the green cheek conure
so, I have a question for you guys. IF we do get a second bird, we will want to quarentine it, at least until we can get our vet to do a well bird update. That will be hard in our space and noise limitations. We have a two bedroom apartment, but it is not that big. I am worried because if we do keep the new bird in another room, won't they call to each other, thus making true the apartment managers prediction of more noise? And, how will we acclimate this new bird to us while doing our same routines with Hamlet? I don't want Hamlet to think that things will change because of a new member to the flock and I don't want him to get jealous. I also don't want to keep the new bird in a room all by himself all the time.
How quarentined do new birds have to be? I would be so upset if anything happened to Hamlet because of this decision. We would be buying the bird from the same pet store chain, but not the same store. The bird manager said that the birds had all been looked at last week by a vet and oked, and they all have vaccination records and vet records on hand, so we are very ssure that bird is healthy. It just worries me. Do you all have any advise?

Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Popsicle the Senegal Parrot &
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
I went through the exact same problem in January when I got Pepsi. First of all I would at least quarantine them for a month. Popsicle is in our 2nd bedroom and Pepsi is in the living room. Popsicle and Pepsi will call to each other but Popsicle is a fairly quiet bird and Pepsi usually calls back the same sound and volume as Popsicle, so this is quieter then what she normally is.

Next is you don't wanna change your routine with Hamlet drastically but you need to fit in time with the new bird. This can be rather difficult but you gotta just try to work it around your schedule as best as possible and only you will really know how to manage that, but it will take up more of your time. But hey its worth a new bird!!!

I wouldn't worry about anything happening to Hamlet but as soon as you get a new bird home I would bring it to your own vet as soon as possible. I got records of Popsicle seeing a vet from the pet store I used to work at and she never did. Poor thing ended up having vitamin A deficincies.

Then you can introduce them and it will make a routine much easier for you!!! Hope this helps you guys.

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
ok this is just my personal expereince I haven't quarinteened any of my birds because we live in a very small house and my mom wanted the birds kept in one spot. Nothing ever happened but I got both the birds from breeders so they hadn't been exposed to as many different things as pet store birds. I would quarinteen if I had the space though. Keeping the birds apart might also help the new guy to bond to you real strongly rather than Hamlet and after you have bonded and maintained your bond with Ham you could move the cages together and they could have some play time but you would still be their favorite person instead of the birds bonding to each other. I'm sure you know but I would get seprate cages as well...

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I was so lucky with Kito in that the breeder used my Vet for all her birds. :D So I had a full record of when he had been seen and how he was coming on. We did quarantine him but only for a short while, as were waiting for tests to come back on one of our little guys, that came back fine, I think they were apart for about a week, and boy the noise was horrendous. Bucc knew there was another birdie in the house and would screech for him, :D

It was hard when I got Kito home as I was handfeeding him, but I overcame this with spending extra special time with Bucc usually when I was supposed to be working :D He thought this was great fun. It is hard but so worth it in the end.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
So, here is a question - since we are boarding Hamlet at Parrot-Safari for a night because of our power issue (see my What a day thread) if we purchased a second bird there would we have to quarentine the new bird since Hamlet has already been around them (Concetta asked that we have all of Ham's medical faxed to her before she housed him with her birds, and I know she has health certificates for all of her stock)? I mean this would get around the quarentine issue ... now if we could just figure out how to get around the apartment manager issue, which BTW we have not heard from her! :mad: She's just going to blow us off I bet! :mad:

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
|Cockatiels:Tara and Shylo|
Budgies:Fresca and Domino|
Senegal Parrot: Kayto|
Christy-I think the new bird would be fine with hamlet as long as YOUR(the one that hamlet goes to i mean) vet(i would not trust petstores) Oks it and says the bird is fine and healthy and everything.

Tex-Hmmm i dont think you would have to if hamlet has already been around them, i mean if the birds were to be sick he would have already been exposed to them and gotten the illness if they were to have one. Although it still might be an idea to take the bird to the vet, as with any new bird.

Last edited:

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
(i would not trust petstores).

Nor do we, but we trust this woman, for she own's a PARROT SHOP! She also has, in this shop, her personal Queen of Bavaria (golden) conure ... it's on the indangered species list and is only allowed to be kept in a captive breeding program ... I don't think that she would put her FEMALE Q of B conure into a situation that she didn't have 100% faith of being safe!

(BTW, have I ever mentioned just houw beautiful that Queen of Bavaria conure is?!?! BEAUTIFUL!!!)

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
|Cockatiels:Tara and Shylo|
Budgies:Fresca and Domino|
Senegal Parrot: Kayto|
Nor do we, but we trust this woman, for she own's a PARROT SHOP! She also has, in this shop, her personal Queen of Bavaria (golden) conure ... it's on the indangered species list and is only allowed to be kept in a captive breeding program ... I don't think that she would put her FEMALE Q of B conure into a situation that she didn't have 100% faith of being safe!

(BTW, have I ever mentioned just houw beautiful that Queen of Bavaria conure is?!?! BEAUTIFUL!!!)

ya thats a good point.

Damn i still want a conure though! i think im going to get a job in the summer so i can get my senegal no probs.. because i SPEND TOO MUCH MONEY!!! i am shopaholic!

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
You wouldn't really need to, but you can always phone the vet just to confirm the health certificate, I know it looks like your going behind the back of a woman you trust, but your not and I'm sure that she would agree. When I got Kito I did speak to the vet (he's the same vet I use anyway) I asked the breeder if she would mind and she was all for it. :D

If this lady had any worries that one of her birds might be ill, she wouldn't house her Q of B there, especially as its on the endangered list. From looking at that website it seems to me that they are all about the welfare of the birds. :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts