View Single Post
Old 04-15-2018, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator
Parrots:
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo / RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Thanked 33,046 Times in 12,022 Posts
Scott is on a distinguished road
Re: Is tap water ok?

Quote: Originally Posted by WiseOwl5 View Post
That sucks. I don't think our water is that bad currently, although when we had our well there was a lot of stuff in it. Still not that bad. I think we could drink our water, but we just don't because any small taste of something makes us not want to drink it.

If it's above the EPA level is that illegal? I don't know what the laws in the States are as far as that. I've been out of the States since I was 2, lol.
Most water in the U.S. is considered "safe" and water agencies usually publish a "report card" giving great detail. This is likely true for most "first world" nations. I've been to several "third world" countries and am painfully careful to use bottled water for everything but the shower and choose foods carefully. Our problems in Canada and the U.S. are generally limited to taste and occasional nasty impurities. But then there's always the terrible lead water in Flint Michigan.

Wanna hear a horribly true story about contaminated water?? Back in the 1990s, an airliner pilot crew became very sick on the flight home from Bangkok, Thailand to San Francisco. Constantly in and out of the lavatory. Next day one of the pilots was violently sick, went to the doctor and had various tests to determine the offending organism. A few days later the doctor called and asked if he was close to dead bodies. Wut?? Turns out the crew had purchased beer from a street vendor. The cans and bottles were covered with ice, and they likely just shook off the chips and enjoyed. The problem was the beer vendor had scored the ice free, from a local morgue. They covered the bodies with ice during transport from the hospital, and were happy to give the ice away!