Need tips on African greys!

Pitsnherps

Apr 10, 2007
Alberta Canada
Parrots
No parrots right now
I have never owned a parrot before besides a cockatiel.
I have been researching and visiting different rescues to learn more about african greys.I want to make sure I can provide a life long commitment for my new pet.
Im 19 and I dont go to school I live at home in my parents house.They are okay with having a parent and are very supportive with my pets.

Since I am home most of the day out for maybe 2 to 3 hours a day I think I would have a good lifestyle for a parrot since I dont plan on going to school yet or soon.

I came across an add on the internet about a lady needing to place her African grey ASAP.
She is not sure if its a congo or timmeh grey.His/her name is Milo and hes 13 years old and plucks his feathers.On his breast area there is a 2 inch patch that he picks.
He is supposedly really handable and her children handle him but not as much anymore.
She needs money since her husband just left her and wants to find him a good home 500 dollar adoption fee Canadian.
He speaks alot of words she says he stays in the basement because he is messy with his seeds.
She lives about 5 hours from me but I would be willing to travel down there to get him.
I will be going down this weekend anyway and would like to meet him and see how he is with me before I make a final decsion.
He does not come with a cage and my aunt has just won 50,000 offered to give me her old cage or buy me a new one.
She does not have pictures on email yet but im going to call her tommorow to find out more information on Milo.
She did not seem to interested or knowledgeable about him when I spoke with her on the phone.
Thanks
Brittney

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
Brittney - firstly let me say Welcome to ParrotForums! You have a lot going on in that last post, so I am going to try to break it down and give you my opinion on everything in there ...

#1 Grey's are AMAZING birds ... AMAZING! They have the intellegence of a 5 year-old child. Before you run out and 'resuce' this bird please understand what you are getting into with this specific breed. I am sure if you ask PETA she can tell you all about CAGs, she is a slave to two.

#2 The easiest way to tell a Congo from a Timneh is the color of the beak. Congos are BLACK while Timnehs have a bronze/golden white color to them. Just do a search on the net and you will be able to see the difference I am talking about. Other wise the birds are pretty much the same bird (Timnehs tend to be slightly, 50-75 grams or so, smaller).

#3 It does sound like you have the lifestyle for a Grey. They will need lots of ATTENTION and OUT OF CAGE TIME! How big is the cage that you are goign to be getting for him. Cages for birds are like houses for humans, THE BIGGER THE BETTER!

#3a The reasons that this other bird is a plucker is because he is kept in a cage all day (probably without toys :mad: :mad:) is only being fed seeds and is being KEPT IN THE BASEMENT ... UUUGH! Peta, can you hand me my "stupid human" whacking stick? Take care of these issues and the plucking SHOULD decrease considrerably!

#3b That being said, SHOULD those suggestions not allievate the plucking you will have to take your bird to an Avian Vet. Do you have an Avian Vet within a reasonable area to you? Do you have the funds that will allow you to give the medical attention to your bird should you have to do so?

Ok, I think that is everything ... but I think you said it best yourself "she did not sound knowlegedable or interested about him when I spoke to her on the phone ... " DO NOT TURN INTO HER!

Anymore questions, please, please ask we are always glad to help!

~ Tex :50: & Hamlet :angel-smi

NicoleN

Jan 15, 2007
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Sisqo & GiGi-DYH & BF Amazons

Snow & Blue-Budgies
Welcome to the Forum Brittney! I hope we can help you with all your questions.

I agree with Tex on all the points he listed below. However I noticed he didn't point out that you should take the TAG/CAG to the avian vet ASAP. Just to find out if there are any issues you may be dealing with. (Tex, I'm sure you thought about it, but you just had so much to type, it slipped your mind ;) ). He/she will probably need a wing trim, nails clipped, and maybe possibly his beak shaven a little. I would assume that it is overgrown due to poor nutrition, and probably not any toys to rub his/her beak on. Also, liver disease may be something to deal with if he/she has been on an all-seed diet for 13 years. Also, I think the basement would be a perfect breeding ground for Aspergillosis, anyone agree with me? Dark, dingy, moist basement.... :(

Please don't let any of this scare you off or anything, we just want you to know that if you were to get this bird, it would probably need a lot of attention from you and you will have to work with him/her constantly. Talk to Tracy about rescuing birds and how rewarding it is when they make progress. I also think Peta has rescued a few birds. They will probably be better equpped to tell you about situations you may encounter along the way.

With that said, I think it's a GREAT idea that you are thinking about going to see the bird before you actually were to adopt him/her. See how you interact with the bird, etc. Pay attention the the behaviors of the bird, the condition of their cage, maybe even take a pic. of the bird for you to look at later, so you can tell if they are overweight or underweight (I'd bank on the latter), feather condition, beak condition, eyes, and so much more.

I hope we help you find the answers you need. I'm sure I'll come up with some more stuff later.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Tex gave some great advise there.

I would strongly recommend you go to see him, As he has been housed in the basement, probably away from human contact he could also be a screamer as well as a plucker. :( Believe me having a grey as a screamer is no fun especially on the ear drums. Seed well he needs a proper healthy diet, and if he's been on seed for the duration of his stay with this woman, its gonna be hard work to get him onto pellets, but with love patience and understanding it is possible. It also doesn't seem as if this bird has had fruit and veg, if he had she would have probably mentioned the fruit and veg on the walls, I think thats the favourite game of my two, :eek: "See how far we can throw it" I can't believe the woman doesn't know if she has a cag or timmy, :eek: As Tex said the beak is different and so is the tail, A Timmy tail is more maroon rather than red. Well I can feel myself getting on my soap box with this woman. So lets look at your lifestyle.
It certainly seems like you have the lifestyle for a Grey, even if you were working this can be done, they do need a lot of stimulation and out of cage time, toys are a big must too, wood ones to bite and demolish, paper anything they can rip up. They will also get into so much mischief :D but hey thats what makes a grey a grey. An Avian vet is a big need, so find one close to you, before you bring a bird home. We are always here so if you need any help and adivse just ask and we will do our best to help out.

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
first off welcome if you want info on greys you came to the right place!
The only thing that concerns me is you aren't going to school and are home all day what kind of income do you have? Birds are expensive not just the initial cost of cage and bird but food it costs 10 dollars for 2 lbs of Sidneys food. Plus you have to think about toys they are a necesity not something that just loooks pretty in a cage. Perches come next you will need several varieties very expensive for larger birds. Lastly Vet bills jsut because it isn't a dog or cat doesn't mean you don't take it to the vet you will need to go yearly and anytime you think there might be a problem and this is several 100 dollars minimum. I will let the other talk about greys and such I just wanted to make sure you knew what you were getting into.

NicoleN

Jan 15, 2007
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Sisqo & GiGi-DYH & BF Amazons

Snow & Blue-Budgies
Kelli's right, vet bills can get pretty high. Sisqo was on a seed diet for 10 years (my parents were ill-informed of their dietary needs), and has liver disease...although it's getting better. His vet bills have totaled a pretty penny so far, and he's now on a special pellet diet for his liver, and goes back to the vet every once in a while for exams of his liver & bloodwork. I could have bought 2 more DYH's with the money that I spent just on his vet bills since January.

As far as toys go, yes they can be pretty expensive, however there are a huge amount of toys that you can make yourself, drastically cutting down on the cost

OP
Pitsnherps

Pitsnherps

Apr 10, 2007
Alberta Canada
Parrots
No parrots right now
Thanks for all the great information and welcomes.
As for my income I live with my mother and her Fiance and just moved into a new town.
Im in the process of getting a part time job but I really like younger children so I would like to be a child care provider for 1 or 2 children in my home or at a daycare.
I have a collection of reptiles and they get expensive my moms a doctor and my step father is vice presedent of a company and my dad back home sends me money.
They have all been really supportive with my animals and me :)
I have talked to them about owning a parrot and there needs that they need alot of interaction with people.
They are fine with having his cage in the living room
We have a huge window in our living room is direct sunlight bad?
Im doing more research looking at pictures of Congos and timmneh they do look different so I will be able to tell.
I will also take some pictures of him.
As for the cage I dont know the exact measurments but Its 4 wide I think 5 high and has a play gym on the top.

Im going to call her today and see if I can find out anymore information on him if she knows anything else.
Thanks

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
You are more than welcome. I look forward to seeing some pics and hearing more about him. When you go to see him just try to think with your head and not your heart. There are many reasons not to get a particular bird, but the rewards of having a bird are unbelievable. :D I'm sure that you'll make the right decision for both you and the bird.

Dominique

Apr 10, 2007
Ga, USA
Parrots
Harley~B&G~F~3
Echo Bella~CAG~F~2
Lucy~Vos/SI Ekkie~F~8
Hi and Welcome!!!

I am the proud owner of a CAG that I have had for a month. They were alwyas on my dream list,but I never thought I would actually get one. Echo is a joy and very fun.

Do you have any pictures of the grey? I seriously suggest getting pictures of him before buying, because the difference in Congos and Timnehs is tremendous! They have very different personalities, and both make wonderful companions.

Greys need a LOT of spance, because contrary to the myth they are lethargic, they are very active. They need as mcuh space as you can provide them with. A minimum of 32 inches across and 20 inches deep. Whatever you do, do NOT get a cage that has a top that opens. They can be DEADLY! I prefer flat tops, because the bird can get up and play on top with a toy. Dome tops are my second choice, because they give them some extra room in the cage. Play tops are my last, because 1. most birds don't really enjoy them as much as we do. 2. the tray that is under the play top makes it very dark and unsecure feeling for the bird inside. Dome or Flat is best.

Fresh food is a MUST. Echo has a big appetite, and right now, I am trying the 100% fresh diet. It is hard, and I wouldn't recommend doing it until you know what the expenses and time you have to spare are. I normally feed about a half cup of SunSeed Parrot (www.sunseed.com). It smells WONDERFUL and is always very fresh. He really seems to like it. Nuts aren't a big favorite. Almonds are his fav of them all, but he doesn't get into them like my macaw does, not even peanuts. I try to stay as far away from peanuts as I can, but they are ok every now and then. Echo probably gets one or two a day in his seed, which is ok. Just remember, fresh fresh fresh is always best!

You will probably spend as much money in toys as you would on the bird and cage itself. They can get very expensive, but are a necessity. Leather, wood, rope and shedders (also called Parrot Pinatas) are the favorites. Acrilic and plastic is also a muct, because they LOVE colors! You shoudl have at least 2 perches in the cage at all times. RIght now, I have 2 wooden, 2 grooming perches and 2 rope perches. They should be at different levels and made of different materials to excersize the feet.

Lastly, RPO- red palm oil. This is a MUST for all African greys!!! They benefit from it so much. It should be 100% RPO and all natural. It is so good for them...

Good luck and I hope you are able to give this guy a good home! PM me or email me for some additional stuff =)

Dominique

Apr 10, 2007
Ga, USA
Parrots
Harley~B&G~F~3
Echo Bella~CAG~F~2
Lucy~Vos/SI Ekkie~F~8
A pelleted diet can be good, I am wanting to get Echo into Harrison's (Harley is already on it). It is the best name in pelleted foods, and although quite expensive, it's all natural and USDF certified organic, so I love that! Harley seems to love it, and it is totally worth checking out.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
Harrison's is what a I feed Ham, along with some Zupreem, some seeds and a bunch of fruit and veggies ...

Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Popsicle the Senegal Parrot &
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
Most everyone has told you about owning Grey's. First Harrisons is the best food, go with the High Potency Coarse for a Grey, especially a rescue bird. This will cost you about $50 for a 5lb bag in Alberta and can only be ordered through your vet or bought in Calgary (quite a drive for you). Getting many birds on a pellet diet can be very difficult especially when the bird is older.

Now I want to just give you an idea about owning a rescue bird. These birds have very special needs and require a lot of patience. You have a bird that will never be the same as a baby you raised yourself. These birds come with problems that seem impossible to fix at times. Especially feather plucking as your Grey does. This will be a very difficult but very rewarding challenge and will probably result in many bites.

I own a 29 year old Mealy Amazon who was rescued 4 months ago. It has been a very rough road with lots of screaming. I love her and would never trade her for anything but she can not be handled yet. I let her do things when she is ready instead of when I am ready, which takes a long time if she ever decides to.

Good luck with your decision and let us know what happens.

Dominique

Apr 10, 2007
Ga, USA
Parrots
Harley~B&G~F~3
Echo Bella~CAG~F~2
Lucy~Vos/SI Ekkie~F~8
Tracy made a very good point. Owning a rescue or re home is never the same as raising a baby. They come with the 'baggage', most of which we will never know about. I was fortunate with Echo, someone was just needing to find a home. But prepare yourself, they will require a TON of patience and love, even when it seems like they don't want it. Sometimes, Echo just prefers me to sit outside his cage and talk to him like a person.

Because he has come from such a bad situation, a vet check should be done immediatly. This will tell about any health problems he might have and how they can be treated. Because he has only been fed seed, it is possible he has fatty liver disease. This can be treated if caught soon enough.

Harrisons can be purchased at your vet, but I found mine at my bird store. Go to harrison's web site and find the nearest place to you. Though it is expensive, it is best.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
You have been given some great advise there, and believe me its not gonna be easy, but it is gonna be real worthwhile, When my little rescue guys (and the bites aren't quite as bad as a larger bird can give) do anything for the first time it brings tears to my eyes, They are never gonna be handtame (they were beaten, starved and left in a cage with other birds who had passed) but even now, and I've had them for about 4 years now, when they do something new I'm so glad that I perservered with it. When I first got them they wouldn't make a sound not even a little squeak, but now they are making all sorts of noise.

I think with this Grey, you are gonna have to assume the worse I'm afraid, maybe its never had fruit and veg, and only a seed diet, Its gonna take a while to get him to eat a healthy meal, but if you've got the love and patience (which you are gonna need) then you can get them to eat healthy. If he bites you, and I'm sure he will, (I've had some nasty ones from Bucc and I got him as a baby, you soon get to know when they are most likely to do this) remember that it will be because he's scared, don't shout at him just show him quietly that that is not acceptable. From reading your post again, I'm sure you've thought of most of these points but its always nice to be reminded. There are so many reasons NOT to go ahead with this, but there are even more reasons TO GO to go ahead, if you know you can handle it.

When you go see this bird, you may find that he has been loved, well fed and is a well adjusted guy, he may only be picking because he has been homed in the basement. Good luck, and please let us know how you get on. :D

Most Reactions