Status
Not open for further replies.

Alison

Jan 19, 2006
Massachusetts
Parrots
B&G Macaw, CAG, Moustache Parrot Quaker, 4 Tiels, 2 Keets
Star died.

I just held Star (Cockatiel) in my hands for the last 10 minutes of her life. Her death was unexpected and though she is 10 or 11 years old, I think she was still too young to just up and die so quickly. Since this comes only 2 weeks after losing Jinx (Cockatiel) to unknown causes, I am going to bring her body to the vets tomorrow morning so they can send her out and have a neocropsy done to find out just what the heck is going on in my house. This just doesn't seem right to me. Maybe there is more going on than just the gas leak that killed the 6 others. Maybe they were already weakened by something else. I have to find out. Please say a prayer that it doesn't turn out to be a contageous disease that is going to kill all my precious babies...

MKay

Jan 25, 2006
Media
Ohio
Parrots
Pionus, YNA, WB caiques, quakers, goffin, lovebirds, GC conure, parakeet,
Re: Star died.

Alison, I'm really sorry. I know you're one many of us who are emotionally invested in your birds, and do not take even one death lightly. It's terrible that you lost 6 to a gas leak; I hope that the necropsy gives you answers you are looking for, and that everyone else is safe and healthy.

Michael

Jan 24, 2006
Media
Pennsylvania, USA
Parrots
Australian King Parrots
Lesser Jardines
Senegals
Red Bellied
Moustache Parakeets
Green Cheek Conure Mutations
Peachface Lovebirds
Scarlet Chested Parakeet
Painted Conures
Military Macaw

Alison,
I'm very sorry to hear that you lost your bird. I didn't know you had a gas leak and lost others. I can only imagine how devastated you feel.
I think a necropsy would be a very good idea.

Michael

9Catsz

Jan 24, 2006
Media
Missouri
Parrots
Peachfaced lovebirds, Timneh African greys

Oh my, Alison, that's really awful. I hope it's just a fluke and not something awful.

I feel for you.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006

Oh Alison, I am so sorry, please let us know how you get on. I really hope that it isn't something contagious, you are all in my thoughts and prayers at this very sad time. Lets hope the necropsy sorts things out.

Please let us know how you get on, We'll all be thinking of you and your family

OP
Alison

Alison

Jan 19, 2006
Massachusetts
Parrots

Thank you for your condolences, I appreciate all of your support. I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner, but after I dropped Star off at the vet, I came home and cried myself to sleep. I wasn't much for talking today. I won't know anything till at least Monday. Dr. Kilgore is going to do the preliminary neocropsy, but if she cannot determine the cause of death, then she will send tissues out to lab for further annalysis. I will catch up on the other threads tomorrow, sorry, I'm still not much in the mood to talk right now, just wanted to say thanks and let you know whats going on.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006

Thats understandable Alison, just come back when your ready, we will be here for you.

Keeping you all in my thoughts. Take care.

OP
Alison

Alison

Jan 19, 2006
Massachusetts
Parrots

I've been running around from Doctor apt. to Dr. apt. all day, but I did talk to the vets office. Dr. Kilgore won't be available to talk to me until tomorrow, but what the office did tell me so far is that she has an extremely enlarged heart and her liver was also enlarged. What that means, I don't yet know, but am hoping to find out more tomorrow. I don't know if she has made a diagnosis yet, or if she has to send out to another lab. I do know that she kept the heart, liver and crop. I will let you know when I find out anything more.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006

We are all thinking of you, and hoping that you get the results soon. Take care.

OP
Alison

Alison

Jan 19, 2006
Massachusetts
Parrots

I just spoke to Dr. Kilgore and she is sending the organs out for futher testing. She said that Star was in good health overall except for the enlarged heart and liver. She feels that it was heart disease. The edges of the liver were rounded instead of sharp which supports the preliminary diagnosis. There was also some fluid around the lungs, which also suggest heart disease/failure. She did not see evidence of any contageous diseases, which is the good news. The tests she is sending for will tell us if there is any underlying cause of the heart disease, but she is skeptical that there is any. I will let you know when I find out anything more.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006

I am so glad that it isn't anything contagious, at least thats one less thing on your mind right now. Please keep us informed.:40:

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006

Alison. Did the lab ever find out what exactly was wrong with Star, Hope you don't mind me bringing this up again.

OP
Alison

Alison

Jan 19, 2006
Massachusetts
Parrots

I still haven't received the results! I'm getting really upset that this is taking so long. I want answers. No, I don't mind you bringing it up. I appreciate that you care. :)

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006

Oh god Alison, it is taking such a long time. Please keep us informed, I'm hoping that you get the results as soon as possible.

OP
Alison

Alison

Jan 19, 2006
Massachusetts
Parrots

I finally got all the results from the neocropsy and there is no sign of contageous disease. :) There was some low level infection going on, but not enough to cause death or even for the bird to be showing signs of it yet. It seems that heart failure was the cause of death. What a relief that is for me and my flock. :) I'm still a little peeved that it took so long! I have been going crazy worrying about it.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006

Alison, I am glad that it was nothing contagious. As you say it took a long time for the results to come back and I can only imagine how worried you must have been.

Give all your guys big scritches from all of us over here, We have been thinking of you and your guys at this horrible time. I'm so glad for you, your daughter and your flock that at least now you can relax a little bit.

Thanks for letting us know about the results.

OP
Alison

Alison

Jan 19, 2006
Massachusetts
Parrots

We have been thinking of you and your guys at this horrible time.

Thank you Peta, your support and concern is deeply appreciated. :)

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Thinking of you Alison very devastating time for you, hope it was not contagious.
Please keep us posted when the results come thru.
In our thoughts
Take care

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions

Latest posts