View Single Post
Old 05-16-2018, 02:24 PM
Parrots:
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Thanked 7,549 Times in 3,078 Posts
EllenD will become famous soon enough
Re: My Amazon Won't Bathe?

Parrots and bathing are definitely an individual thing, some absolutely love it and try to bath in every source of water they can find, and some hate it with such a passion that they literally run away when you say the word "bath".

My 8 Budgies are easy, they love it when you put a shallow bowl of water inside their flight cage. No problems there.

My Green Cheek Conure is a bathing fool, he baths in his water bowl, he runs to be under the sink water, he goes crazy when I give him a shallow bowl to bath in, and he loves the shower with me. My Quaker and my Senegal Parrots both hate baths, but they love showers, but ONLY WHEN I'M IN THE SHOWER WITH THEM. Otherwise forget about it, they just fly away. But every time I take a shower I have a bird waiting of the shower rod for me, and once I'm in the shower myself they then jump onto the bird perch attached to the shower wall with a suction cup. It's like they wait for me to actually get in the shower before taking the plunge, as to not be fooled into getting in by themselves, lol.

My Cockatiel would sooner die than take a bath or a shower, and of course she is the dusty, powdery bird who molts the most and seems to shed the most dry, dead skin too. I don't force it, as she gets upset easily when it comes to water.

So they all have their own personalities and their own ideas about bathing. Usually they seem to prefer showers to baths, especially if their person is in the shower with them...Have you tried putting your Amazon in the shower with you at the same time? That might be the key.

Take it slowly, don't force the issue, especially since you haven't had the bird that long, and you may or may not know what his routine was at his prior home. Things like misting him with a bottle may scare him because his prior owner used a spray bottle as a punishment for him, as it is unfortunately often used.

If you already have a shower perch, attach it as far back away from the water/shower head as you can, so that your Amazon can sit in the shower without getting wet, and then just try putting him on the shower perch without turning the water on. Let him see that it's a safe perch, a safe place to be. If he is willing to sit on the perch with you there and the water off, then keep doing this daily, letting him see that the perch inside the shower is safe. Another good training idea is to put another perch/bird stand inside the bathroom with you whenever you take your shower, so that he can be in the bathroom with you and so he can see you taking a shower every day, and know that again it's safe, both in the bathroom and inside the shower. Then after he becomes accustomed to being in the bathroom with you when the shower is running, and he feels comfortable on his shower perch, that's when you can try taking your shower and putting him on his shower perch with the shower on, but with him not getting wet at all the first few times (unless he decides himself to just take the plunge and get in the shower stream). Let him just hang-out on his perch inside the shower a few times while you take your shower, let him watch you getting wet and being in the shower stream a few times, and then very gradually start to direct a little of the shower spray towards him, just so he can feel the water on him. And then you just keep moving forward, more and more towards him actually getting into the shower with you himself. Training is a marathon, not a sprint, and he may never have gotten a bath or a shower in his prior home, or he may have had a bad experience with it. Either way, it may take some time acclimating him to the whole idea, but if you're in there with him and he sees you taking a shower, he'll eventually start to warm-up to the idea, maybe even look forward to it.

When I have my Senegal in the shower with me, he sits on the shower perch while I take my shower, he'll stick his head, feet, tail, etc. in the water stream from time to time, but he waits for me to finish my thing before he gets under the shower, first because he doesn't like the water as hot as I do obviously, and also because you don't want to get shampoo or soap on the bird. Plus, you certainly do not want your parrot climbing on you when you're not dressed, trust me, it hurts...So what I do is take my shower with him on his shower perch, which is placed just out of the shower stream, then when I'm completely done I make the water a little bit cooler, he likes it pretty warm but not hot, and then I'll put him on my arm and let him walk down it and get in the shower stream to the point that he wants to. Most days he gets all-in and soaks himself, others he just walks under the water a few times and is done. Once he tells me he's ready to get out, then we get out (usually he comes back up my arm and out of the water).
clark_conure Supporting Member (05-20-2018), itzjbean (05-16-2018), SailBoat Supporting Member (05-16-2018), Scott  (05-17-2018), TiredOldMan Supporting Member (05-16-2018)