Hybrid or Pure

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
We started talking in another Thread about hybrid parrots, and I was just wondering what you all thought about it.

Me I'm torn, I love the Catalina Macaw, they are wonderful, pretty parrots but on the one hand my thoughts go to the Wild Parrots and how they are depleting, If we started breeding different species would we not start to see the end of certain species. Yes it happens naturally, although not very often,

Do I think Breeders should be breeding mixed species, well in my opinion No.

Would I ever buy a Hybrid, I'd like to say no, but I just don't know, what if the situation presented itself, I had the money with me etc etc,

So what are your thoughts on Hybrids, as you can see I'm very much torn on this one. (no I'm not thinking of getting another bird.......... yet)

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
:D like the puffer hybrid

251208gLNK_w.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Ohhhhhhhhh well now thats different. :18: :18: :18: :18:

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
there was an excellent article about this in Junes bird talk-I would never breed hybrids but as Peta say it would be a different story if I found the right one like I don't think I would specificly look for one but if a hybrid captured my heart I don't think I could say no. I mean every bird deserves to be loves right? Have you ever seen a sun dusky conure? they are gorgeaus! http://images.google.com/imgres?img...=sun+dusky+conure+hybrid&gbv=2&svnum=10&hl=en

Minzer84

Mar 14, 2007
Massachusetts
Parrots
Iggy- YCA
Call me naive, but I'm wondering if the birds are bothered by mating with other species of birds? I guess they can't really be forced to mate with a bird they do not want to mater with, so is it by choice if they are put together as a pair?

And is your main concern that by creating new hybrid species of birds, we're ruining the blood lines of the birds that they are coming from? I read the last posts, but I think I'm still confused as to the problem.

I don't think that intermixing bird breeds can be compared with dogs or cats, because if they were, I don't think it would be a problem, because for one, the purebred breeds are still around in large numbers, so bloodlines are still pure, and for two, the hybrid dogs are often much healthier than their parents...so with dogs it's a good thing.

I don't really like most bird breeding altogether (I obviously do not support wild capture to make pets for people either, however), but unless I'm completely off point here, I guess I don't see hybrid breeding to be a problem as long as there are still pure lines of parrots maintained, which I don't think would be an issue.

Sorry if I got too in-depth here, I just thought about this a lot. :eek:

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
There's no such thing as "too in-depth" here, this is purely a what do we all think kinda thread, and if it makes us all think then that can only be a good thing can't it.
And is your main concern that by creating new hybrid species of birds, we're ruining the blood lines of the birds that they are coming from? I read the last posts, but I think I'm still confused as to the problem.
There really isn't a problem here, its just what we think (in our opinion) is right or not or should I say ethical
Call me naive, but I'm wondering if the birds are bothered by mating with other species of birds? I guess they can't really be forced to mate with a bird they do not want to mater with, so is it by choice if they are put together as a pair?
I don't think that birds are that bothered one way or the other, but if the urge was strong and they were put together with another species who knows.
Now all my little guys are in a large flight together, Bourkes, Tiels, Rosellas, Lineolated Red Rump, and they have never even attempted to mate with another species, (I know a lot of people don't think that putting a lot of different species together is right,) but they are in two's except for the Red Rump, (female)
I don't know about in the US, but here we don't see that many (to my knowledge) and the ones I do know about were selling for ridulous amounts of money, a lot more than the pure breeds, My main concern I think is that people will soon start getting these birds purely for the novelty and not for the bird. Guess that could also be said for the pure breeds as well though. :(
but unless I'm completely off point here, I guess I don't see hybrid breeding to be a problem
Hey we all have our own opinion here and neither is right or wrong, it is purely our own opinion. Its nice to hear what everyone thinks about things, and yep it does get us thinking. Thinking and asking questions all helps us learn. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Most Reactions