Coconuts

OldKrok

Mar 18, 2007
Media
Can someone please tell me if coconuts, coconut meat - the white stuff, are safe for conures to munch on?:confused:

OP
O

OldKrok

Mar 18, 2007
Media
G'day Crazy
I'm not concerned about the exterior of the coconut, the fibres, etc; but the actual coconut flesh. I've drained the coconut, left it in the fridge for a few days, and I'just sawn it in 1/2. I noticed a reasonable layer of oil on the saw blade and I know it's all natural, but I don't want to give it to my birds if its going to harm them, or give them the runs (they're messy enough as it is).

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
how do I go about putting pics of my tibe up here?

well, you could either link from a photo database site, like www.photobucket.com (or any other of your personal favorites) or you can just post them in your postings ... when you go to post a message there is a button at the bottom of the screen that says "manage attachments" - click on it and you will be walked right through ...

AS FOR COCONUTS ... I wouldn't even think twice about giving one to Hamlet ... I know lots of people who give their macaws coconuts ... I haven't read anywhere that they are harmful ...

~ Tex

OP
O

OldKrok

Mar 18, 2007
Media
Thanx Tex
I'm a little more confident now.
It's amazing - when you look up the various sites about parrot diets, etc, the ONE piece of info you really want is never there.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Hi and Welcome, I give coconuts to my birds Greys and the little guys, some like it some hate it, but they haven't suffered any effects from it. :D Have even given some of it to my baby Grey who is 12 weeks old, he didn't really know what to do with it, but gave it a good ol chomp.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
Thanx Tex
I'm a little more confident now.
It's amazing - when you look up the various sites about parrot diets, etc, the ONE piece of info you really want is never there.

tell me about it, that's why you have to come to great sites like this one to get your ino ... :D

NicoleN

Jan 15, 2007
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Sisqo & GiGi-DYH & BF Amazons

Snow & Blue-Budgies
OldKrok you're conures are beautiful! I love their names. How old are they?

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
|Cockatiels:Tara and Shylo|
Budgies:Fresca and Domino|
Senegal Parrot: Kayto|
Your conures are adorable! i love suns! and also about the coconut im pretty sure its fine for them.

Last edited:
OP
O

OldKrok

Mar 18, 2007
Media
Hi Nicole
Taco will be 1 year old next month and Tequila is about 8 months old. And like yourself, we sleep, let the birds out for a fly, renew feed & water, put them back in their cages, go to work, come home, let them out of the cages for an hour or so, renew feed, water, fresh paper in cages, pot them to bed, cook dinner watch a bit of TV or do some after hours work, go to bed, wake up, let the birds out - a bit like groundhog day.

OP
O

OldKrok

Mar 18, 2007
Media
Thanks Meghan. I think they're cute too. And they love to cuddle in. When I get home from work I put on one of my bird shirts (they're the ones without any buttons left on them) leaving the front open (naturally - because there ain't no buttons) and Taco and Tequila will scoot right up inside and get cozy, occasionally muttering something or other in conure (official sun language).

How long does it take 2 sunnies to remove 17 buttons from 1 shirt?

About 30 minutes. Is that a new world record?

Have a nice day Meghan

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
:18::18: And I thought the button thing was just a Grey thing, obviously not.

About 30 minutes.
Wow now thats fast, not even my two greys manage it that quick. :eek: Guess I should think myself lucky. :D

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots

About 30 minutes. Is that a new world record?

I guess I should consider myself lucky ... I've had Hamlet for like 3 months now and I still have all my buttons ... not, however, all my marbles :30: ....

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Yeah sometimes its hilarious, but when you are running out the door, still trying to do your shirt up, only to realise that hey you don't have any buttons left you just want to strangle the little devils, but then you look at them and they just melt your heart. I'm sure the Suns will have the same look as my two do, "What me do something wrong, never"

OP
O

OldKrok

Mar 18, 2007
Media
I'll post some pics of the rest of our feathered kids shortly - the two green cheeks Fagan & Greenpeace; the two princess parrots - Fabio And Stella, and the three 'tiels - Yellow Bird, Greybi & Girl Bird (when I get a spare hour or so). And yes, they all do come out of their cages at the same time - it's a mad house.

Skysquawker

Apr 23, 2007
Texas
Parrots
White Eyed Conure--Shamus

Mitred Conure--Scarlet

Quakers--Kelly & Mr. Jingles

Tiels--Maria, Colonel and General

Green-cheek---Harley Bookins

Congos--Lucy and Bandit

American Keets--C
I would think it would be okay, many of the commerical mixes have dried coconut in them...probably the only thing to watch for, is since it is fresh it might go bad.

BTW, new here....:bunny7:

Pam

OP
O

OldKrok

Mar 18, 2007
Media
I don't give these guys anything in the way of fruit or vegetables that's not fresh and as far as the coconut goes - I taste it first anyway. My main concern was that fresh coconut may inherently be bad for them (as avocados are).

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I've even grated some coconut for my guys, and they love it, I sprinkle it over their fruit and veggies, the little guys think its great, and scoff it down as soon as its put in the cage for them. :D

Its always a good idea to ask if your not sure of something, heaven forbid we gave our birds something that wasn't too good for them. :( What did they think of it?

Most Reactions