Warning

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
found this post on another site:

I nearly lost my beloved Jenday conure, "Tookie" just now. So, I thought I would take this opportunity to warn other bird owners. I was at my computer, she was playing with her fabric Bird Hut sleeping tent. All of the sudden, she was flapping and struggling. I rushed to her and she had some loose fabric threads tightened around her neck. The more she flapped and twisted, the tighter it got. I grabbed her and ran down the stairs to get scissors to cut her free. I was as panicked as she was. I was able to cut her free. She is cuddling up against my neck now....very scared and upset. I examined her Bird Hut....it was a mess. It should have been discarded a long time ago. I knew that these have a potential to be dangerous and even life threatening when they become frayed. I am now wondering how many birds have been killed by these? I will not use them again. My lovebirds and Conures all love them...but they all go into the garbage right now. If I had`nt been here, Tookie would have strangled to death.
Ok...now I can have a good cry...I was so scared.

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
Yeah I worry about that with Sidney's I check it regulary and keep it well trimmed fortunatly he doesn't seem to chew on too much mosty goes in just to sleep at night. He enjoys it so much really helps him feel safe cuz he is such a cuddle bug so I am willing to take the risk however it always good to me reminded to check it often also he is in my room where I sleep so if something were to happen at night I would probably hear it.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Yeah, Kito has one of these and he loves it, I don't leave it in his cage night times tho' as he will chew it and pull it to bits, I keep a very close eye on his but yeah I've heard of a few birds having accidents because they have pulled lose threads over time. :( Its very sad.

And Thanks for the warning, its always good to be reminded sometimes to check our birds things.

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
|Cockatiels:Tara and Shylo|
Budgies:Fresca and Domino|
Senegal Parrot: Kayto|
I've heard that before about them. Its a shame isn't it. But birds love them..well some anyway. LOL thats what im debating about hwne i get a bird whether i should get a happy hut or not.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
Hamlet love his, infact I don't know that he could sleep without it. Christy and I are very vigiliant however and everytime we clean Ham's cage we check "the hut" for things that need to be snipped out ...

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Christy and I are very vigiliant however and everytime we clean Ham's cage we check "the hut" for things that need to be snipped out ...

Think thats the only way to go, As long as they are checked on a very regular basis, they are fine, Kito loves his, but I know for a fact that if it was left in all night he would have more lose threads than enough and that is when the problems could start, So I leave it out night time, and he gets to play in it during the day. I know call it the "Play Hut" more than his sleeping hut. :18:

Most Reactions