View Single Post
Old 10-05-2018, 12:30 PM
Parrots:
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Thanked 7,578 Times in 3,080 Posts
EllenD will become famous soon enough
Re: How cold is too cold?

I think I confused myself in that post, lol..I can't give you a good answer, other than I'm psychic and knew what Noodles was thinking...#VooDoo

Either way, I totally agree with Noodles, lol, and to answer your question of "How can BOTH be true?", it's just what Noodles stated directly above...There are many factors that effect their ability to survive below-freezing temps, and the largest one is how gradual the temperature change is over-time, versus just taking a bird who is used to living inside and taking them outside and putting them in an ambient temperature that is drastically different than what they have been living in.

This doesn't only apply to birds/parrots either, but to ALL warm-blooded creatures. You can't take an inside dog who only goes outside during the winter for short spurts to go to the bathroom and then goes right back inside, and suddenly decide that you want them to be an "outside dog" and suddenly chain them up outside during December and expect them to survive!!! A dog who lives outside 24/7, 365, in a region that has seasons that include a winter, will actually naturally develop not only much thicker fur, as well as a thick undercoat, but will also develop a large layer of fat as well, both usually start developing/growing in the early-mid fall season, as the ambient temperature starts to drop (and it's a "gradual" drop)...In contrast, a dog who lives inside full-time and only goes outside a few times a day for the bathroom does NOT develop a thick coat of fur or an undercoat, nor do they develop a thick fat layer. And this goes for any and all animals, including birds, who live outside all year round in a geographic region that goes through a cold, winter season.

****If I was to drive to NYC right now, in October, and catch one of the wild Quaker Parrots who live there all year round, bring it home, and put it side-by-side with my adult Quaker Parrot, the differences in not only their feathers and down, but also in their fat layer and overall body structure would be enormous and quite obvious visually...
noodles123 (10-05-2018), sweetpeamusic (10-06-2018)