Old 10-10-2018, 08:03 PM
Parrots:
Umbrella Cockatoo- 11 years old
Thanked 5,633 Times in 2,270 Posts
noodles123 will become famous soon enough
Re: Soon to be cockatoo owner *hopefully*

cockatoos are NOT domesticated!
Domestication takes a LONG time.

Any bird (even if captive for 3-4-5 generations is NOT domesticated, which means they retain ALL wild traits.....ALL OF THE WILD TRAITS ARE JUST SITTING THERE...WAITING..)

Again, I am my bird's 4th home and that means that 3 people before me thought like you...and all of those people HAD LARGE PARROTS PRIOR. I know that you want to do the right thing and I know that you are confident, but statistically, you may not be able to manage this bird.

I know I have an Umbrella Cockatoo and that Citrons are not the same, but they are still cockatoos.

Consider the worst case scenario (because many people do have bad experiences): Will you forgo family, children, a husband and boyfriend + a social life to support a bird? Or hire an in-house nanny? You can't safely drop it off daily with other birds at a pet-shop due to tricky diseases (asymptomatic)-e.g., ABV/PDD...SO, lets say your bird tears a hole in its chest or mutilates your family, or literally screams louder than your alarm clock ALL night....what will you do?
THIS IS WHY so many people re-home them. They are super smart and they can hurt you. Even people with other trained, large parrots have re-homed them.

Also,the $60,000 + lifetime cost excluded pet-sitting and/or special lifestyle modifications.
If your area is remote, how will you acquire a certified avian vet? That is an absolute must...
I am not some cockatoo saint. It is very hard to keep these birds healthy and happy...for anyone! A cockatiel is a totally different ballgame...

If I seem overly enthusiastic about dissuading you it is because I do really care about this. Time and time again it goes badly for well-intentioned adopters (despite research). I just wish I could put my experiences in your brain (the good, the bad, the expensive)... I mean no disrespect, but research can only take you so far without hands-on-experience.

Re-homing rates prove that there are very few scenarios in which people are able to provide truly happy homes for these birds. Yes, people will have them as long as they need homes, but you shouldn't probably learn to "swim" by jumping into a tsunami either....Experience is very important here (real-life, authentic, outside of a pet-store experience with parrots and cockatoos).

Last edited by noodles123; 10-11-2018 at 03:59 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to noodles123 For This Useful Post:
GaleriaGila Supporting Member (10-11-2018), Scott  (10-10-2018), TiredOldMan Supporting Member (10-10-2018)