Parrots, which one for me?

Dominique

Apr 10, 2007
Ga, USA
Parrots
Harley~B&G~F~3
Echo Bella~CAG~F~2
Lucy~Vos/SI Ekkie~F~8
Hi and Welcome! This is going to be long, so prepare yourself ;)

It is great that your busgie is tame, that can make all the difference when getting a second bird. Because she has been the only bird for as long as she can remember, adding another to the flock will mean restablishing the pecking order. Now, if you have any hope of them being able to get along, it is probably best to get a small parrot. My first thought was a Green cheek Conure. Don't let the size fool you, these are wonderful bird. Very docile and calm and typically get along very well with other birds. Yes, they are bigger than budgies, most parrots will be. However, they are quieter and much less demanding than the larger birds, yet still enjoyable. I would definatly look into these birds more for a possible addition.

My second thought is parrotlets. These are among the smallest parrots avalibe on the pet trade and are becomming more and more avalible and popular. Once again, don't let size fool you; these are little cannons ready to explode with energy! They are small enough to the point that they could get along with your budgie, and they don't take up too much space. I think this is up there on the top of the list as far as suggestions goes. They don't have any special dietary needs but it is recommended that they are fed non-colored pellets. They thrive on a quality seed mix with these pellets and a variety of fruits and vegetables.

Although Lovebirds come to mind, they probably aren't going to be the best choice because it is very hard to find on that will get along with other birds. They can get very territorial and will fight/kill (especially Peachfaced) other birds if they feel threatened. But, having owned these birds myself, I found that they do have a wonderful pet potential if well socialized and handled consistantly. However, if you do want one, I would go with one that is young and can be socialized with your budgie (supervized, of course). Ask the breeder, if you choose to get one from there, if they can sociale them with other babies of the same or another species as well.

Conures tend to be the next choice for me. There are many varieties to choos from; different sizes, colors, personalities, and prices. Sun Conures come to mind... They are firendly, energetic little things who have brought much joy into housholds. They are popular and easy to find. But, they are loud! They shreik and do it often. Perhaps that is the reason I do not own one.

Pionus are another bird to look into. They are like the undiscovered treasures of the bird world. Although not very well known, they are known to make excellent companions and have a laid back temperment. Perfect for the bird owner who is just getting into larger birds yet want one that will not bore. Beauty meets brains equals fun. I don't know how once would react to a budgie, as they are much bigger and stronger, but I thought I would toss that out there.

Caiques are becomming more and more well known throughout the avian world. They are the circus clowns of birds and have the most energy out of all birds, I think :D Nothing is like being surfed by a Caique. They will wrap you around their little foot before you can blink. Just love them! There are two varieties: Black capped and white bellied. They look exactly alike except the black capped has a 'cap' on the top of it's head. Personalities are exact too, it's jsut whichever color you prefer. Lots and Lots of energy mean that they will need a large cage will plenty of toys. If you decide to get one, be sure that you can provide a constant supply of toys because even though they are not desstructive, they play hard and need lots of mental stimulation.

Hahns macaws might also be another bird you may want to check out. Once again, much bigger than your budgie, but sweet birds. If you like the personality of macaws but not the size, this is your bird. They are a big bird in a small package. Very sweet; you get that same cuddly/ playful personality that you would find in a B&G or Scarlett but in a small bird. The are about 12 inches long from their head to the tip of their tail. They are known to be good talkers but make far less noise than their bigger cousins.

Senegals, however, are once again in the tops. Small enough for the not-so-new-yet-not-too-experianced bird owner. Sweet personalities, I cannot say anything bad about them really. I havn't spent much time with their close reletive, the Meyer's parrot, but I have been told they are a lot alike. They are about 9-10 inches long from head to tail. They are active and energetic and love to interact with people. No unusual dietary needs- just a pelleted (preferably) and fruit and veggie rich diet. While there are exceptions, they are not know to become feather pluckers or screamers but, without consistant handling, can become nippy.

These are would be my personal preferances as none are too big yet are wonderful birds. Be sure to do lots of research and spend time with some babies and adults before you mak a final decision.

Dominique

Apr 10, 2007
Ga, USA
Parrots
Harley~B&G~F~3
Echo Bella~CAG~F~2
Lucy~Vos/SI Ekkie~F~8
Might I also add:

I do NOT believe there is such a thing as a 'starter bird'. All birds are goign to cost time, money, investment, etc... Some birds more than others. I knew someone who had a Hyacinth macaw. It belonged to his great uncle, grandfather or some reletive. Well, this bird had been in a breeding program for 15 years and didn't have very much people one-on-one interaction. Basically, this bird was wild. Well, the owner had died or was in the hospital or something and the bird got willed over to this guy. He had no bird experiance whatsoever, but this Hy was important to his grandfather so he took it. He had always loved birds, especially the Hyacinth macaws, but was more inclined to get a baby. He had done his research though, so he had a good idea of how to take care of him. The Hy was his first ever bird, not to mention he was wild. Well, the guy was in and out of the hospital with stitches all the time, but eventually, this bird has become his best friend. He did his research and was able to get and keep a bird he really did admire. Just goes to show there is no such thing as a starter bird (IMH/HO) but more of how a person goes about it.

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
Might I also add:

I do NOT believe there is such a thing as a 'starter bird'. All birds are goign to cost time, money, investment, etc... Some birds more than others. I knew someone who had a Hyacinth macaw. It belonged to his great uncle, grandfather or some reletive. Well, this bird had been in a breeding program for 15 years and didn't have very much people one-on-one interaction. Basically, this bird was wild. Well, the owner had died or was in the hospital or something and the bird got willed over to this guy. He had no bird experiance whatsoever, but this Hy was important to his grandfather so he took it. He had always loved birds, especially the Hyacinth macaws, but was more inclined to get a baby. He had done his research though, so he had a good idea of how to take care of him. The Hy was his first ever bird, not to mention he was wild. Well, the guy was in and out of the hospital with stitches all the time, but eventually, this bird has become his best friend. He did his research and was able to get and keep a bird he really did admire. Just goes to show there is no such thing as a starter bird (IMH/HO) but more of how a person goes about it.

good answer :35:

OP
nzchickadee

nzchickadee

May 15, 2007
Media
Christchurch Nw Zealand!
Parrots
Budgie
You are all so awesome! Thankyou for your replys!!

We (better_half and I ), have decided to hold off on a large parrot, until we own ou own place, and have olderish kids. So yeah, realistically the too has become the 'dream bird'.

Macaws fasinate me, but down here I wonder if we even have them as pets? I might have to look into that. I am def. going to research Hahns Macaws between calls at work today :)

I think we are nearly set and decided on a Sun Conure. Their size and nature are so much more appropriate to where we are at, and they are beautiful birds
:)

So thankyou for your suggestions, notes and advice. I think a Conure will be next in line at our household :)

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Don't think you can go wrong with Conures, wonderful little guys. Don't let the "noise" (that they are supposed to make) as I'm sure Tex and Christy can tell ya, they have a sun who is a quiet little soul. think you'll have a lot of fun with him/her. Keep us informed and updated. :D

Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Popsicle the Senegal Parrot &
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
Welcome to the Parrot Forums. I was a bit delayed with responding but looks like you got some great information from everyone. I would have only said get a Senegal Parrot (hahaha I'm very partial to the little guys) However, a sun conure should also be a great choice!!! Let us know what you do end up with and don't forget lots of pictures!!!

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
Might I also add: I do NOT believe there is such a thing as a 'starter bird'.

Ya know, I initally saw this statement and didn't agree with it, but I agree with the logic behind it ... all birds take time and monetary commitments, I agree with that 100%. But I think that the term "Starter Bird" needs to be redefined so I am going to try it here. When we talk about "starter birds" we talk about birds that the individual would be realitively comfortable in handling and training properly as a first time owner.

Let me liken it to you all this way. If you were going to suggest a first car for someone just getting their driver's permit would you suggest an 18-wheeled Mack Truck for them - probably not. Sure they could learn to drive with some guidance, and some could even do it on their own. And, after they mastered that truck would it be easier to drive a sub-compact, yes! But for the vast majority of people a 2 (or 4) door sedan is a great "starter car".

I would liken birds like Cockatoos, Macaws and Amazons to that 18-wheeled truck, I think that the individual who wants a first bird shouldn't be looking at these types of birds. You are talking about putting some of the most rehomed birds into the hands of inexperienced handlers and you are creating a situation that will probably only compund the rehoming issue.

So, from here on out, when I refer to "starter birds" I am refering to birds that the novice owner/handler would be more likely to have training successes with. And, let me assure you, most people would rather see the beak of a conure or senigal agape and heading for a finger than those of a big Macaw, Cockatoo or Amazon ...

I hope that helps!

~ :50: Tex

OP
nzchickadee

nzchickadee

May 15, 2007
Media
Christchurch Nw Zealand!
Parrots
Budgie
Tex, thats well put, and dead correct
Thankyou :)
I have completely accepted the fact that a too is many years away
now, if ever. The more research I do, the more I doubt myself that I
could give them a healthy and HAPPY life, the more I understand another
one has to come first.

galah.jpg

Last edited:

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
|Cockatiels:Tara and Shylo|
Budgies:Fresca and Domino|
Senegal Parrot: Kayto|
The Galah toos are adorable. someone i know from another forum had one that she was weaning but it died :(

I agree with Tex.

Eclectica

Oct 8, 2006
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Dory - Cockatiel
Hey there and welcome! I have a variety of birds here.

The Ringneck- Great "starter bird", they dont have much issues, love cuddles, a family birdie, talk well, and live to about 20-25 yrs average. Mines 10 now.

Conures- Cute birds, very interactive, crave for attention, love most family members, mine likes only women at the moment, cause we are 3 ladies in the house.

Eclectus- Calm, loves their people, talk extremely well, observers, family bird, and mostly very cuddly with one chosen person in the house, gorgeous:D , and craves for attention. They are a bit more work, most bigger parrots are, moods and all, but its phases and stages and we have to deal with it.:p

Oky doky, now cockatoos- very hard work! My ekkie breeder, breeds and hand rears galahs and i also fell in love with them the first time i saw them. She didnt even recommend them for me.
Some things she told me- not from me.
They are loud, i heard them too, if i visit her, but she said they are extremely loud, earpiercing sound!
They crave attention! Very badly!
The featherdust they give off, is as white as snow and she says that she has to change clothes after handling one of them.

I can find out more if you want more info, she has also bred Hahns before, but stopped breeding them because of the noise factor. All macaws are really loud birds.

She started breeding red sided and solomon island eclectusses, and told me she'd never change her species again. She does breed galahs and ekkies, and if i visit i never hear the ekkies, they are extremely quiet birds, and observers.

Check out the ekkie section on the forums, to see my boy!
As i said, the info on the cockatoos and macaws is what ive heard from someone who bred them, other owners might have better info on them.

Wilma!!!

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I also use the term "Starter Bird" for the simple reason that there are some that are great for a first/second bird and some that are definately not.

Dominique you used the Hy as an example but the thing is, the grandson was used to the bird, and had had dealings with him. (even wild) Yes he did exeptional work with the bird, but had seen what the bird was capable off, to someone who hasn't really spent much time with a larger bird and doesn't know what they really are capable off this wouldn't be suitable for a "starter bird" (hope that makes at least some sense, having trouble with brain and hand co-ordination today :D )

When I think of a starter bird its more of a "starter" human after a bird, hence "starter bird"

Dominique

Apr 10, 2007
Ga, USA
Parrots
Harley~B&G~F~3
Echo Bella~CAG~F~2
Lucy~Vos/SI Ekkie~F~8
Peta and Tex- yes, the definition os starter bird needs to be redefined. I get very...sensetive to it for the fact that most people don't give them as much credit. They require work and commitment, and when most people use the term starter bird, it can sometimes translate into 'bird that will not be much money, effort or time; boring'. Yes, I 100% agree that there are some birds that are better to start out with than others. But, I think we need a new definition ;)

how about:
Starter bird: a starter bird is a bird that is easier to care for than others. They are good if you are just beginning a love for birds because they tend to be lower mantience than larger, more demanding birds. But- these birds will still need lots of toys, a good diet (i.e- not just seed) consistant handling and love. They can't just be tossed aside like a toy, for they are living and breathing as much as any other bird. They are wonderful to own, even if small and can help you gain confidence and knowledge for larger birds :)

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Peta and Tex- yes, the definition os starter bird needs to be redefined. I get very...sensetive to it for the fact that most people don't give them as much credit. They require work and commitment, and when most people use the term starter bird, it can sometimes translate into 'bird that will not be much money, effort or time; boring'. Yes, I 100% agree that there are some birds that are better to start out with than others. But, I think we need a new definition

Hmmmm, well when I refer to "starter bird" then yes I think of a bird that needs less effort than say a too. A lot of people get these birds without any experience because they are cuddly and real loving, they dont think of the other times when there could be a different too in our home. (mating season, moulting, etc) I would then use "SB" But looking at this from the other angle there are some smaller birds that I wouldn't say are "SB" just because of how the species is.

Thanks for this thread though its given me a lot to think about and that is a good thing, its always nice to have our brains taxed a little bit. :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts