View Single Post
Old 11-03-2018, 05:02 AM
Banned
Parrots:
Sunny a female B&G macaw; Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey; All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Thanked 7,772 Times in 2,755 Posts
ChristaNL is on a distinguished road
Re: Eclectus or B&G?

My sentiments exactly.

I have a macaw and she *is* sometimes cute and cudly and sometimes you have to count your fingers afterwards to make sure they are still attached.
I was used to african greys and already spend loads of time with them, but this 1 1/4 kilo dictator is the neediest parrot I have ever met!
(Of course she went through some serious lifechanges and still has issues with a lot of them and is not a happy camper because of her sore wings etc.)

but...
a room for a bird somewhere else in the house?
Never a good idea (unless you go Birdman666 f.e. and have a complete flock in there).

An isolated macaw is a screaming macaw, and that goes for most solitary kept animals that really, really are DNAprogrammed to live and survive in groups, herds or flocks.

You are a young person, and probably not an "old-antie-sit-by-the-fire" so... go for a bird that is small enough to take places.

It is hard to transport a macaw, it is large and sometimes LOUD! so most places will not be happy to have one there, even if they are prepared to overlook a nice smaller senegal-sized one.
I know they may not seem as appealing, but go for pint-sized and go places together!

Take on this adventure called life with a birdy-companion that can come with you (almost) everywhere instead of being home-alone and probably not very happy about that.

Last edited by ChristaNL; 11-03-2018 at 09:40 AM. Reason: one day I will learn to spell, promisss
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ChristaNL For This Useful Post:
bigfellasdad (11-03-2018), LaManuka  (11-03-2018), Laurasea Supporting Member (11-03-2018), SailBoat Supporting Member (11-03-2018), SilverSage (11-04-2018), TiredOldMan Supporting Member (11-03-2018)