A Lesson in plucking

GDoyle

Dec 7, 2006
Orland Park, ILLinois
Parrots
African Grey
Hi everyone, I have an African grey since he was 4 mo's old, he is now 1 1/2 years old. He was in great condition feather wise when I bought him. About 4 mo's after I bought him I noticed he had started plucking himself. So I read up on it and changed his diet, bought another cage so I can move him around the house with me etc. Well nothing helped. I kept Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls on a cabinet near his cage. One day I noticed that the eyes of my dolls which happened to be buttons where bitten off the dolls nothing else was done to the dolls but the eyes were chewed off. I removed the dolls from the cabinet and the plucking stopped and feathers grew back and again in great condition. With christmas time here, I brought out two toy soldiers and placed them on my mantle near the cage and now again he started plucking. I removed the soldiers and he stopped plucking. So I have learned that roger doesn't like anything staring at him. I found this to be very interesting and thought it might share this experience with you. I hope it can help some of you.

ordenrahl

Nov 9, 2006
VT
Parrots
Lucky, a 10 year old Eclectus
Birds have the strangest quirks :) I'm glad you were able to figure out the problem!

Eclectica

Oct 8, 2006
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Dory - Cockatiel
Who would have guessed that a parrot would be afraid of doll eyes! Its actually funny when you think about it, but its strange in the way they can see things as well.

You should post some pics, we love pics and greys are a favourite around here aswell!!

O, and also WELCOME!!!:D

Wilma!!!:03:

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
That is very interesting, Bucc also hates Buttons................ on anything, hubbys T-shirts now don't have any buttons on them any more :D

He also won't go into my daughters bedroom as she has some china dolls and he hates them with a vengence.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM, NICE TO HAVE YOU JOIN US.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most Reactions