Yay!!!

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
So I got to hang out with my CAG today, while I put money down on him.(which I heard was good because some one else was looking at him) :p

I also gave him a name.... I shall call him Pickles :07:

Speaking of the sexing thing, when I asked if she knew is he was a boy or a girl, she said she would check when in the back and came out with a bead on a string. She held it above... Pickles... and said it's a boy. Then, of course, I asked how it worked. She said that it was a 96% test and that if the bead went in a circle it was a girl and if it went back and forth in a straight line it was a boy..... :eek: anyone do this or heard of this tall tale?
She also said that back in the day thats how pregnant women were able to tell the sex of thier child.

well it has a unisex name so I am not too worried about it... But I will look under the tail feathers, like that one site said, later... and maybe even have it sexed later.

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
YEAH Pickles is going to be soo lucky to have an owner like you who does all the research! Any news on the cage? When will PIckles be coming home? you didn't happen to take any pics while you were there did you? :):):) around 3 more weeks and Sydney gets to join my family. There's going to be alot of baby birdies hanging out around the forums:)

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Great that you have put money down on Pickles, and that you got to hang out with him/her again.

I wouldn't take too much notice of the rope trick, it looks very impressive but not accurate. Sexing by the underside of the tail is more accurate, but you need to do this after his first moult. Another way of telling the difference is a male is darker in colour than a female, but unless you see a male and female that is also hard. Either way you are gonna have so much fun with your new baby and I'm sure your gonna love it no matter what sex it is. I'm so happy for you.

DON'T FORGET WE LOVE PICS, AND THIS SUPER DOUPER MOD GETS REAL STROPPY WITHOUT PICS.
36_1_20.gif

When do you get to bring him home. Will he be fully weaned or are you gonna take over some of the handfeedings? Oh so many questions.

http://smiley.smileycentral.com/download/index.jhtml?partner=ZSzeb096_ZSYYYYYYYYGB&utm_id=7924

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Oh yeah kelly the time is sure getting near now for your baby. I can't wait for all these baby pics.

I should be getting a new baby in the new year, but I'm gonna be taking over the handfeedings so its gonna be real tiny, if I can just find my baby. :D

OP
darkchi

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
Yes I brought the camra with me, but I was so distracted by Pickles licking and purring in my ear (too funny) to take any pictures.

I can take him home when ever I am ready (i.e. when I get the cage all ready and the room he will be living in. (thinking a week) I will be visiting him in the meaning time. I was told pickled was 8 months and that he was weaned to seeds (damn, work that could of been avoided)

As for the cage, I found one that I think I am going to go with.

OP
darkchi

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
if the bars, on the cage, are one inch apart do you think that is too big of a spacing?

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
That is brilliant news, I'm so happy for you.

I can sure understand you being too distracted to take pics, so we'll let you off this time. :D Thanks for keeping us updated. I'm getting so excited for you guys I can hardly wait.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
if the bars, on the cage, are one inch apart do you think that is too big of a spacing?

No that will be great. When I got Bucc I went for the 3/4" bar spacing, BUT he was always getting the top of his wings caught in them, the screams were horrific. I soon changed it for the 1" spacing. When they are young they are so clumsy and they panic easy, so the more he panicked the worse his wing got caught. :(

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I'm after 2, (more if I could convince hubby, but think that would be pushing my luck) a male red rump for Flynn ~ it has to be male as she wouldn't accept another female. :( Trouble is we can't find a male anywhere.

Then a baby Grey, yep another one. I'm going to be taking over the handfeeding so it would be a real tiny one. :D Just got to wait for the right baby to find me. Hopefully early in 2007.

ordenrahl

Nov 9, 2006
VT
Parrots
Lucky, a 10 year old Eclectus
Good luck with the hand feeding, I've heard how hard it is and I am not looking to do it myself anytime soon!

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Yeah, not sure I could do it from scratch so I'm going for 2/3 handfeedings a day. Maybe one day I'd go for all the handfeedings but at the moment 2/3 is enough. :D

OP
darkchi

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
You could always try hatching one your self, I am sure it is as easy as most of the kinds I have done.... the feeding on the other hand, I don't think I could do... unless they came out all fluffy and ready to go. Ducks were my fav because they would follow you every where and trip all over them selves doing it :p hehe

bill

Jul 2, 2006
victoria,Australia
Parrots
lorikeets and gc conures
Its funny you say you are having trouble finding a male red rump Peta.You basicly cant give normal red rumps away over here. By normal i mean the normal colour and not a mutation. They are a pretty parrot i have seen them in the wild on many occassions and have enjoyed the encounter on all accounts.:) :)

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Its funny you say you are having trouble finding a male red rump Peta.You basicly cant give normal red rumps away over here. By normal i mean the normal colour and not a mutation. They are a pretty parrot i have seen them in the wild on many occassions and have enjoyed the encounter on all accounts.:) :)

Oh Bill smuggle me one over will ya. :D Thats exactly what I'm looking for. My little gal Flynn is the normal colour and she really needs a man, (not for breeding purposes, but if it happens great) You could always have a word with some of your wild guys see if they fancy a quick flight to the UK, to come live with me. :D

OP
darkchi

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
Update

So I got to hang out with my baby again today. So, my ears are now red from her nibbles, I have a few damaged fingers including a bleeding thumb and poop on my shirt... and I love it :p I also think that she is going to be a quick learner, every time she bit me I of course siad "ow" and when I was talking to the shop person the bird mumbled a little then said what sounded like "pretty bird... ow" then so more mumbles. :eek: very exciting! :18:

Ok, so I am thinking Mr. Pickles is a not a Mister at all. She is lighter in color than the other grey there (a lot lighter) and from what I saw on her tail, she has the grey tips.... so I might rethink the name Pickles (picked it based on the thought of it being a male)... I will keep you up date about the name. I always have issues with names.... she will have it for, well, 70+ years

Most Reactions