Babies - maybe this time

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Well Gemini and Leo are once again the proud parents of 1 egg so far, but this time there is a Leo IS sitting on them, no she still won't use a nest box so I have put in a shoe box covered it over with newspaper and hey presto that is the mansion they have been waiting for. :confused: We are due more eggs today sometime so hopefully all being well she should raise some lovely little baby tiels. I hope.

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Well we didn't mind one way or the other, we've got the birds for breeding purposes, in fact we wanted one sex it just turned out that we ended up with Male/Female pairs :D So far they are taking really good care of the egg, not sure if its fertile or not, but we'll know sooner or later. :D

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
We have yet another egg #2 and maybe another one today sometime, they are still being very good and taking good care of the eggs, hopefully this next one will be the last one. 3 babies is enough for the time being. :eek:

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
|Cockatiels:Tara and Shylo|
Budgies:Fresca and Domino|
Senegal Parrot: Kayto|
oh wow! will you be handfeeding them? or are you one of those people who only hand feeds if its neccasary?

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
oh wow! will you be handfeeding them? or are you one of those people who only hand feeds if its neccasary?

Let's not jump ahead of ourselves here ... Peta, are you even sure they are fertile yet?

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
|Cockatiels:Tara and Shylo|
Budgies:Fresca and Domino|
Senegal Parrot: Kayto|
Let's not jump ahead of ourselves here ... Peta, are you even sure they are fertile yet?

oh ya i forgot about that question lol. you can put a flashlight or candle up to them and if they have like vein things in them then im pretty sure it means there fertile. lol you probably already knew that but whatever. haha or would it be too early to candle them?

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Well, yeah I could candle them, but she's so fickle don't want to disturb her or them at the moment, so no we don't know if there fertile yet or not. If they are then I will only handfeed if she wont for the first few weeks, then around 3-4 weeks thats when I'll take over the handfeeding. We will however be handling the babies, from very young, so long as it doesn't stress her out too much. :D We'll just have to wait now, once I can get them both out together I may candle them in the next few days.

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Just thought I'd show you Gemini and Leo's really fancy nest box, the only one they have EVER laid their eggs in.

nestbox.jpg

Since she laid egg #1 we moved the box into the hospital cage, which is still inside their big flight cage, when we put them into their breeding cage they just forget the eggs and get really depressed, so this time we are doing everything wrong, and they are doing everything right. IF the eggs hatch then we'll move everything out, or shut the door of the hospital cage, but we'll see. You can just see Gemini's tail in the box. We have egg #3 now. Hoping we don't get anymore. I'll try to get a better pic of it later on.

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Tried to candle the eggs today, and all I got was a good few wing slaps and good ole bites from Leo in the process, she's not too interested in letting us do this, so have decided to wait till Gemini is sitting on the eggs and see if we have any more luck. My hands look worse now than all the bites I've ever had from Bucc, :eek: She means business this teil. :D

T

tielgal

I've come to this conclusion. Leo=Terrifying!

I went into to the 'nest' cage to change the water, clean out the egg food/veggies and what not, and then Leo springs out of her little box, wings open slightly, and glares at me, with her beak slightly open. I do the only thing I can do, other than run for the hills-talk to her gently, basically pleading for my hand's safe return! :) So, she gives a satisfyed little nod, and stands back slightly.

Then, I lift the paper up slightly-well, mum did, I'm far too chicken! :p-and she lunges at the paper, all menacing, and scary!

But, at least now, we know for definite that she's serious about raising these eggs, which is fantastic!

Well, just a little update, because I'm a gushing mumma! :D

Last edited:
OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
My instincts tell me that these are viable eggs, but until we can get in there to candle them we don't know for sure. As they eggs are being sat on all the time by both Gemini and Leo we should know soon. One way or the other.:D

T

tielgal

My instincts say they are fertile too, but there's no way I'm sticking my hand in there and touching Leo's eggs, not when she's in this 'mummy' mode! She's scary! :D

T

tielgal

We have 4 eggs!!!

I went into the nest cage (whilst Gem's was sitting on the eggs) to change the top paper, the one drooping over the box, and Gemini got off the eggs, and there were 4!

Sorry, lil' gushy, I'll stop! Just wante to keep y'all informed!

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
Ahhh I want eggs, lol
I will have to have a talk with Cricket about this :eek: maybe she can become A-Sexual... wait what if she is a he... think you can get birdy sex changes? :confused:

HAHA... I just want a big headed baby :D

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Hey Chi, when and if these eggs hatch I'll send one to ya, maynot be the big headed baby your looking for but hey it will be a baby. :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts