View Single Post
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-10-2018, 06:39 PM
noodles123 noodles123 is online now
Senior Member
Umbrella Cockatoo- 13 years old
Join Date: Jul 2018
Thanks: 4,771
Thanked 8,985 Times in 3,648 Posts
noodles123 will become famous soon enough
Re: Parakeet care help?

Since you said these are your first birds, I have copied and pasted some information I wrote in another post about common household dangers. If you already are aware of these things then disregard this part of my post, as I know it is unrelated to your original question

"Teflon/PTFE/PFOA/Fluoroplastics are hidden within and on many items that heat. These release deadly fumes (unscented) that kill birds very quickly. Things to consider: hair-dryers, curlers, curling irons, ironing boards, space-heaters, self-cleaning ovens, rice-cookers, air-fryers, some microwave popcorn bags contain a clear-coat of Teflon/fluoroplastic, drip-trays, some humidifiers...Basically, if you heat it, call the company and tell them the full names for the aforementioned abbreviations (PFOA/PTFE) as well as the full names of each (which I cannot spell---polytetrafluoroethyline? is one...) + ask about Teflon. You will have to be put in touch with the manufacturing side of things, so it may take a few days to get an answer. Teflon/PTFE/PFOA can be mixed into metals during the molding process, it can show up in the form of a colored or black surface coating, it can be woven into heat-resistant/stain resistant fabrics, and it exists in a clear-coat (even found in mascara...not that that ever gets heated). Many internal components on heating devices are coated but you can't inspect visually and expect to be able to see it. These types of heated appliances containing fluoroplastics have killed birds on separate floors of a house when used, so get rid of it (walls, doors do NOT protect).

In terms of household cleaning etc, you cannot use standard cleaners/chemicals with a bird (no Bleach, windex, lysol, pine-sol, air freshener, etc). Basically, if it has a scent, you shouldn't use it. Fabreeze, glade plug-ins, perfumes, heated oil potpourri, carpet cleaners, flea shampoos, nail polish remover, sharpie markers, paints, hot glue guns, acetone, shoe polish, paints, aerosols....all can kill birds. Candles (scented or non) are also very dangerous due to the particles they put into the air...Doesn't matter if they are organic lol. Car air freshener tags etc have also proven deadly (regardless of the specific scent, although pine scents are particularly dangerous).

The lungs of birds are VERY sensitive, so things that are fine for mammals and humans are not safe for them to inhale. Even smoke from grills or burning oil/butter/food can be deadly. Do not assume that something is bird safe just because you used it around your bird a few times prior and he/she was fine. Sometimes death can occur instantaneously (within minutes), other times it takes longer...just depends on the bird and the toxin etc.

Birds hide illness (as prey animals) so they do not show symptoms unless very ill. Consequently, considering all of their health issues, ridding your house of teflon, scented products, and chemical cleaners will spare you money, guess-work and heart-ache. I use an avian safe disinfectant called F10 SC (the yellow/clear kind) to clean everything (where I would have used bleach, Windex or Lysol before). F10 is a concentrate that, when diluted properly, is safe around birds (you don't have to rinse once dry as long as the dilution ratio is correct). Vinegar +water is another safe option (as long as you don't heat it in a dishwasher/coffeepot, and then there is GSE (Grapefruit seed extract) + water."
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to noodles123 For This Useful Post:
charmedbyekkie Supporting Member (12-10-2018), Laurasea Supporting Member (12-10-2018), PenClem (12-10-2018)