Bucc and his harness

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I have been trying to get Bucc into his harness for some time now, finally he allowed me to put it on him and he sat very still, should have known then that he was up to something, anyway when I had done it all up he sat on his playstand and happily ripped the thing to bits. Hehehehe, get the feeling that he doesn't like them!!!!!!! Thankfully he was inside when this happened and not outside as he is fully flighted. What a scare that would have been.

Alison

Jan 19, 2006
Massachusetts
Parrots
B&G Macaw, CAG, Moustache Parrot Quaker, 4 Tiels, 2 Keets
If I came within ten feet of Gwen with a harness in my hand, he would be enraged. If I ever tried to put it on him, I would certainly be losing some flesh and blood. My Macaw does good in a harness, but Gwen would be less than amused.

sunconure

Aug 24, 2005
Media
Albums
Cedar Park, TX
Parrots
sun conure girls: Allie & Kira
I have heard from people that had difficulties at first that if you "wear" the harness around your bird they are more inclined to try it and like it!

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I know lots of people with Greys who are trying or have tried to get them to wear harness without any luck, it must be greys. LOL I did try a different sort of harness on Bucc but no way, have even got the bite marks to prove it. There is no way he will wear it. He will be a year old on 27 Jan and I've been trying since I got him. Maybe I'll wait till he's asleep then try it :24: quickly :D

Alison

Jan 19, 2006
Massachusetts
Parrots
Maybe I'll wait till he's asleep then try it quickly

LOL Well good luck with that one! Make sure you have LOTS of bandaids ready. I can actually picture you tiptoeing up to him trying to be quite and all the while he would be watching you through a tiny slit in one eye just waiting for you to get within striking distance. LOL

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
If I still have any fingers left, I'll let you know how I got on. LOL :2_smile:

9Catsz

Jan 24, 2006
Media
Missouri
Parrots
Peachfaced lovebirds, Timneh African greys
I've found that most, not all, older birds don't like the harness. If you really want to use a harness with your bird, you need to get the bird used to wearing the harness when the bird is still a baby, right before it weans. That seems to be the best way I've found to get a bird to accept the harness.

Alison

Jan 19, 2006
Massachusetts
Parrots
It really depends on the individual bird. A U2 I had here was harness trained at the age of 6. My B&G was harness trained at the age of 3. The birds temperment and tolerance level is very important.

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I know a lady who harness trained her too at 12 years old, Bucc has never liked it though, but I'm perservering, think its become a game with him, see who gives up first. LOL

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Nearly, very nearly had sucess with Bucc and his harness, you wouldn't believe what I've been doing, but I still have all me fingers and not a drop of blood was spilt. LOL Anyway, managed to get it round his head and he sat there as good as gold, I'm starting to think that this was going to be easy, ha! it was as thou' he finally realised what I was up to, and took off flying round the room like a bird possessed :16: Bribed him to come to me, and was able to calm him down enough to get harness off. Tomorrow I am going to try again, this time putting him on his training stand clicker and treats at the ready at the same time trying the harness, If I can find a way to operate the camera with my toes, I might even get a pic!!!! As soon as I got the thing off him, he started laughing like a nutter. This has definately become a game of wills with him. I have made up my mind I AM GOING TO WIN!!!! ..............................................I think LOL:D

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Have just noticed the avatar, and he looks so sweet in that one, I'm gonna have to chance it to one that makes him look like the little devil that he really is. Its a good job I love him!!! Oh heck, he has this way of making my heart just melt:D and doesn't he just know it.:smile015:

MKay

Jan 25, 2006
Media
Ohio
Parrots
Pionus, YNA, WB caiques, quakers, goffin, lovebirds, GC conure, parakeet,
Awwww.. how sweet. Snapped while he was sleeping.. so innocent!

Alison

Jan 19, 2006
Massachusetts
Parrots
but I still have all me fingers and not a drop of blood was spilt

Well thats a good start at least. Good luck tomorrow, hope it goes well for you and Bucc.

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Have now made a new harness for Bucc, He will let me put the harness round his neck, but will not under any circumstances have them round his wing.......................................YET.

I have now made a harness in separate bits that I call his training harness, when he gets used to all the bits, then I'll start with the proper harness.
Baffle him with science is my new tactic. LOL

Most Reactions

Latest posts