Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Popsicle the Senegal Parrot &
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
Ok so Popsicle was clipped and is currently going through a molt. She now has a few flight feathers grown in. She is just starting to jump and fly around a little. She has a problem that she is never ever flown before and well needless to say she is not very good at it. She is after flying into walls. Any advice on helping her learn to fly would be great.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
When Kito was first learning to fly, I took him round to show him and let him feel where the walls etc were, he'd never seen them that high before, he soon learnt that he needed to stay away from the hazards without any problems. He would fly straight towards the wall, :eek: but at the very last minute he would veer off. Could you get her to fly between you and your fiancee gradually widening the gap between you. that would get her used to the flying and landing part, which after watching Kito seems to have been the hardest part of it all. :D

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
... got a site to help teach cricket how to land.. haha, she can't fly yet but she can 'glide' .... well I guess I would call it 'falling with style'
But she lands so hard it knocks the poop out of her, and thats not a figure of speach :rolleyes:
I always feel like I have to run over and look her up and down to make sure everything is in its right place, which, of course, she doesn't seem to like. :D
(yes she is clipped, but I am letting them grow back)

like that site by the way.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
... well I guess I would call it 'falling with style'

"Buzz, you can't fly, you're a toy!

But she lands so hard it knocks the poop out of her, and thats not a figure of speach ... I always feel like I have to run over and look her up and down to make sure everything is in its right place

Well, somethings not in the right place ... it's on the floor!! Christy and I are the same way with Hamlet! I know I have complained about his 'clip-job' before, but really, it's terrible ALL OF HIS FLIGHTS ARE GONE! He drops like a stone when he falls, luckily our apartment is completely carpeted (except for the kitchen and bathroom) and it's brand new carpet (replaced just before we moved in in September) so it is still plush and a soft landing. But, sometimes, he lands so hard that he "peeps" almost like he's getting the wind knocked out of him, it's really scary.

Lately it's been really sad, Mac was "long-clipped" (can fligh but not very fast, and not for very long) from our breeder and he has been buzzing around here more than we want him to be. And Hamlet is watching him do this and has gotten it into his mind that he should be able to do it too (to which we agree) ... so he jumps off things flapping like a crazy man and just falls, then looks up at us like, "THIS IS SO NOT FAIR"

Hamlet still only has 1 flight feather that has grown back in from his clip ... it will be interesting to see how they grow back in and how quickly they do so. Christy and I hope it's soon cause we want him to be able to buzz around here with Mac ...

NicoleN

Jan 15, 2007
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Sisqo & GiGi-DYH & BF Amazons

Snow & Blue-Budgies
I know I have complained about his 'clip-job' before, but really, it's terrible ALL OF HIS FLIGHTS ARE GONE!

I know what you mean, the other day I was talking to Gigi and she was flapping her wings. I couldn't believe how short her wings had been clipped. Sisqo's been clipped before (and is currently growing back flights), but he hasn't had a clip as uhh...aggressive as Gigi's. Can't wait til they grow back in...it just looks so weird...little wings on a big bird.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Christy and I hope it's soon cause we want him to be able to buzz around here with Mac ...

I tell ya what watching those two fly around together is gonna be so much fun for you both, When Kito started flying all I could do was sit and watch the pair of them, sounds crazy when you see birds flying round all the time outside but when its your own it kinda special. :D

OP
Tracy842

Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Popsicle the Senegal Parrot &
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
Thanks for that site Nicole, it will help alot. She is getting a little better and is slowly learning how to turn. Will keep you updated on how she is doing with it.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Don't they look awkward when they are first learning, but then all of a sudden they turn into a graceful bird flying round everywhere. Wait till she want you to play chase with her, now thats funny. :D

Most Reactions