Bucc Harness and Fingers!!

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
As you all know, I have been trying very hard and very unsuccessfully, to get Bucc to wear his harness to go outside. It was a Feather Tether and he hated it. Well I decided I would get him another one, The Aviator
http://theparrotuniversity.com/harness/harness.html

I ordered it a few days ago, then yesterday it arrived, today I had Bucc in harness and outside AND WITH FINGERS ALL PRESENT AND ACCOUNTED FOR!!!! lol. He had a wonderful time wasn't too sure about the grass though, well he did think it was for eating :25: I did remember to take camera out with me, just to remind him how much fun it was.

Please let a guy sort his feathers out will ya!
puttingfeathersright.jpg

I'm feeling a bit peckish, what is this green stuff anyway!
bucceatinggrass.jpg

Hmmm wish this climbing frame didn't move quite so much.
climbingonroses.jpg

All in all he had a wonderful time outside, wonder if he'll go out tomorrow!!

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Another day we went out and he stayed out for a little while longer, then when he had enough I brought him in.

This tree is just outside the back door, but no matter how much I called him he would NOT look at me. lol
hiding.jpg

That enough for today, I wanna go in.
hadenough.jpg

As soon as he started to fiddle with the harness I brought him back in. Each time we go out he stays for a bit longer. I think he's done really well.

Alison

Jan 19, 2006
Massachusetts
Parrots
B&G Macaw, CAG, Moustache Parrot Quaker, 4 Tiels, 2 Keets
Oh that's awesome Peta!!! I'm so glad you found a harness that Bucc would tolerate. I bet he just loves being outside. Good job! :D

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
He really does love it outside, somedays he won't go out so we don't push it, but when he does want to go in very nearly jumps in that harness.

I am really so glad that he has got into a harness and goes outside, and now he doesn't have to be in a cage. Think that's one thing he can't get used to, going outside and NOT going into a cage. lol.

Alison

Jan 19, 2006
Massachusetts
Parrots
I'm so glad for Bucc. I wish I could bring Gwen out on a harness, but that will never happen. He gets way too upset and stops talking and interacting with anyone for a couple weeks if I try to restrain him even a little bit. For my situation, it's just not worth the trauma it causes him. He isn't like most of my other birds, in that he takes things WAY too personal.

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
That is a real shame, but in the same situation I wouldn't even try either. I always think that it is better for everyone if they are happy and interacting. I think my battle, with Bucc, became very personal each one of us wanting to win. I think I won, but I'm sure he's gonna come out the winner one way or the other. ;) :D

sunconure

Aug 24, 2005
Media
Albums
Cedar Park, TX
Parrots
sun conure girls: Allie & Kira
Alliee hated the feather tether...so now I am going to try and get the birddiaper/harness....more for the harness and not the diaper.

Alison

Jan 19, 2006
Massachusetts
Parrots
I use a feather tether on my Macaw with no trouble, but the ones they make for the smaller birds are aweful, in my opinion. They are a figure 8 style and I don't like them at all. The ones for big birds have clips and adjustments, so that they stay exactly where you put them and they don't end up tightening around the poor birds neck like the fig. 8 does. I hope all goes well for both of you with the flight suits. :)

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Think thats the one thing Bucc hated about the Feather Tether, all the clips, it just made it so heavy for him.

Well he finally got his own back on me today, we went out again, I'll post pics later on, and he climbed up onto my shoulder and was being all lovey giving kisses and cuddles, then poop all down my back and arm. I swear the little devil had been saving it all up just for me. :eek: :eek: Guess that's one up for Bucc. :D

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Took Bucc outside again today, and he has gained a lot more confidence, instead of sitting with me all the time, and having the quickest fly around ever, he finally started climbing on the trees in the garden. This is him doing some aerobics

SeewhatIcando.jpg

Its a little blurry, as he was saying Good boy, good good boy, Bucc get out. lol.

Most Reactions

Latest posts