Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
memorialday.jpg

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Thats a lovely thing to say,

Personally we owe a lot to USA soldiers, when my brother , well lets just say, went away, he's RAF they arrived with no tents, food, showers or ammo, if it wasn't for the american soldiers they would have stunk, gone hungry and trying to fight with no ammo.

Seems as long as we all continue to work together then we can overcome and beat everything.

THANKS TO ALL OUR UK AND AMERICAN SOLDIERS

Skysquawker

Apr 23, 2007
Texas
Parrots
White Eyed Conure--Shamus

Mitred Conure--Scarlet

Quakers--Kelly & Mr. Jingles

Tiels--Maria, Colonel and General

Green-cheek---Harley Bookins

Congos--Lucy and Bandit

American Keets--C
Happy Memorial Day!!!!!

Pam

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
|Cockatiels:Tara and Shylo|
Budgies:Fresca and Domino|
Senegal Parrot: Kayto|
:eek: i had school today.. on memorial day? must be an american thing. pshhh americans... they get more holidays.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Yeah it seems to be only USA who observe this day for some reason.

Seems strange when we all have soldiers away, maybe the UK and canada can adopt it. Next year you can have the day off from school and tell them that the crazy brit woman from Parrot Forums gave you permission. (not sure it would work, but worth a try) :D:D

OP
birdcrazy

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
hey my calendar also said it was a bank holiday in the UK and instead od Cinco de Mayo (which is a big deal in texas) they had chinease boat lantern festival!

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Serenity & Pix and their kids Jade & Tango (Peachfaced Lovebirds) and Bonnie (Budgie)
In Canada we have Remembrance Day ... November 11 and things go all quiet at 11am for 11 minutes. Its the same reason, just a different way of doing it. Late, but happy Memorial Day (and an early happy Remembrance Day to all my fellow Canadians).

OP
birdcrazy

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Actually September 11th I think is our most patriotic day even more so thean the fourth of July possibly. I mean 4th of July we signed the declaration and all so it's important but it's more of a happy hurray for America type day where as september 11 th we will always remember where we were and what we were doing the moment we found out and something about thinking about really brings out the best in everyone despite all our differences at least over here. This is soo cool to be able to talk about all our different holidays with people from other countries. With the whole political mess in the world sometimes it's hard to remember we are all just people and you guys are the only contact I've ever had with people from other countries and that's really cool that parrots can make us set aside our religions,races,politics, and predjudices to come together. I think everyone out to get an international hobby:)

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
as september 11 th we will always remember where we were and what we were doing the moment we found

Yep we also remember that day, and where we were and what we were doing. It still brings tears to my eyes to this day.

Here in the UK we have 7/7, which is especially memorable for me, as the train and bus that were blown up are the ones my brother would have been on if he'd gone into work that day and not decided to work from home. Thankfully.

Yep it was a bank holiday here in the UK on Monday. It just means that all the banks are shut and a lot of shops too.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
... Here in the UK we have 7/7, which is especially memorable for me, as the train and bus that were blown up are the ones my brother would have been on if he'd gone into work that day and not decided to work from home. Thankfully.

How long did this bother him for Peta? I mean, the psychological aspect of "survivor syndrome" is amazing to me.

On the Monday after 9/11 I went into one of my classes in college/university and I was talking to a girl in that class and she had a ticket for one of the flights involved in the events of the day. Her husband had decided to stay home, and not go to Los Angelos on business like he was supposed to, that day because she had not been feeling well for a few days and he was helping her take care of their child (while she was pregnant with their 2nd). Needless to say, she was still in a state of shock ...

It's amzaing how the smallest decisions change your entire life.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
This haunted him for a long while, he knew people on the bus who were injured and on the train who died, they all worked at the same place, think he felt guilty for a long while afterwards. No matter how many times we told him he shouldn't, I guess when its someone you know its different. I know I was relieved that he didn't go into work, then I felt guilty for thinking that way.

NicoleN

Jan 15, 2007
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Sisqo & GiGi-DYH & BF Amazons

Snow & Blue-Budgies
So Peta, maybe you could fill me in on this "Running with the Cheese" thing..or is it "Running for the Cheese". Either way, it looks painful

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
So Peta, maybe you could fill me in on this "Running with the Cheese" thing..or is it "Running for the Cheese". Either way, it looks painful

Well apparently its a really well known "Uniquely British tradition" (as quoted in the paper). :eek: I didn't have a clue, but it was in the paper yesterday, so I'm guessing it happened on Bank Holiday. Its where nutters, oh scuse me I mean competitors roll a 7lb cheese down a really steep hill, then chase after it. :eek:

Turns out the womans winner this year came from N.Z. It dates from Roman Times apparently.

Have to admit Nicole, I thought you'd had too much coffee this morning. Seems I learn something new every day. :D

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
Wow... you guys make it imposible to say anything smart here...

until I see....

competitors roll a 7lb cheese down a really steep hill, then chase after it

I bet our/my fid would of loved to join the fun.

I was in school when 9/11 happened and my mother pulled me from class soon after it happened. Where I live in NY, the planes went right over our town before hitting the city (the two planes followed the hudson river down to the city) I also remember the way people seemed to change from that day, even if it was only for a short time. People respected one another with out prejudice (did I use the right word?) It was nice to see everyone get along. I work for the state of NY, and we have a musem attached to our state buildings. I went over to the 9/11 set up (peices of original fence, some parts of the buidling suport beem, and a fire truck that got caught under the rubble of the buildings falling) It was one of the few times that afected me. I usualy take everything in a upbeat, make a smart ass funny comment when it comes to said times... guess thats my way of hidding my feelings or even avoiding them. But seeing the rubble and the affects that this event had on people really got to me.
well there are my thoughts, lets leave it at that :cool:

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I also remember the way people seemed to change from that day, even if it was only for a short time. People respected one another with out prejudice

Yeah that got to me too. I only saw it on the TV but it was a wonderful sight to see, everyone helping each other as you say even if it was for a short time.

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
Oh boy, that sounded a lot like politcal comment.
I love talking politix with Americans.
Americans should be happy there are French people, other wise they would be the most critisized race of people in the world, but it shouldnt take long for them to get back on top. As long as the Japanese kill Whales, and the french blow up peace protesters, The Good Ole USA is still safe.
Im glad you lot spent a few weeks not hating each other. Pity it took so much to achieve so little for such a short time.
You have no idea how many American tourists has personally appoligised to me for the decisions of their Government.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions

Latest posts