new member, but not new to birds

DeadIrishD

Jul 9, 2006
Hello,

I am a new member, but am not new to birds.
I am 19 yrs old and live in New Hampshire.

I know that there is alot of birds out there needing homes, but am never able to find any that do, besides in pet stores... but I dislike buying them from there.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
buccwelcome1.gif

Hi and welcome, hope you have a good time here, we are a friendly bunch, especially if provided with pics :D :D of your birds and other pets. Join in and have fun.

Have to say I'm not a great lover of pet stores either, they never seem to take proper care of their birds:( Hope to talk soon and get to hear all about you.​

1ststatestereo

Jul 7, 2006
Check the classified section in your newspapers. For whatever reason, whether it be lifespan, the amount of responsibility needed or noise, lots of people get rid of their birds for really cheap. You should find one that needs a home there!

Alison

Jan 19, 2006
Massachusetts
Parrots
B&G Macaw, CAG, Moustache Parrot Quaker, 4 Tiels, 2 Keets
Welcome to the board. What type of birds do you have, or have you had experience with?

I know that there is alot of birds out there needing homes, but am never able to find any that do, besides in pet stores... but I dislike buying them from there.

What type of bird are you looking for?

OP
D

DeadIrishD

Jul 9, 2006
I have alot of expreience with too's, macaws, conures, parrolettes, teils, keets. my fave being conures, and macaws, I love toos as well... but boy can they be a handful.

I want something of a medium size like a grey or conure, heck even a teil, my exception would be a mawcaw but of the smaller and more quiet ones, like military.

but with every bird theres an exception or two....
so here is what I am looking for in a bird.

something semi quiet. (I live in a town house.)
a medium sized bird
something tame
I could care less if the bird spoke or not, but if so that's a plus.

Alison

Jan 19, 2006
Massachusetts
Parrots
I have alot of expreience with too's, macaws, conures, parrolettes, teils, keets. my fave being conures, and macaws, I love toos as well... but boy can they be a handful.

In what capacity have you had experience? Did you ever own a bird? Did you work in a Pet Shop, or volunteer at a Parrot Shelter/Rescue? Just trying to figure out what kind of experience you have.

OP
D

DeadIrishD

Jul 9, 2006
my main experience with birds, came from pet sitting for friends, and hanging around with their birds.

I have owned a Indian Ringneck Parakeet that I had gotting from NERD aka Zoo Creatures, I had loved that bird to death but unfortunately he did not seem to feel the same way about me, so he was adopted into a home with a female that he had actually taking too.

I have owned 3 cockatiels, one was a major sweet heart, and two were look but don't touch. all three of them died, one being from old age and 2 died by an unknown reason.

I owned 2 love birds, both of which were beautiful, but than again a look but do not touch birds, as they were too in love with eachother.

I have also owned a total of 2 budgies, one out of the two lived with my fave. cockatiel and was the dominate one LOL. the other one had died from a heart attack, or so I belive.

I worked at petco for a while, but could not deal with lieing to customers so needless to say I ended up not going to work and they fired me, I could have quit but than they'd have found help easier so I tried to burn them as much as I could.

Alison

Jan 19, 2006
Massachusetts
Parrots
Have you tried contacting Foster Parrots or All Cape Parrots? They have alot of birds in the shelters there.

I worked at petco for a while, but could not deal with lieing to customers so needless to say I ended up not going to work and they fired me, I could have quit but than they'd have found help easier so I tried to burn them as much as I could.

LOL Good for you!! :)

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Your Petco sounds like a pet store we have here "Pets At Home" not a good place.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
something semi quiet. (I live in a town house.)

If you find that let me know. :D Bucc can be very quiet, but he can also raise the tone to ear piercing. :eek: love him..:D :D

OP
D

DeadIrishD

Jul 9, 2006
Peta said:
If you find that let me know. :D Bucc can be very quiet, but he can also raise the tone to ear piercing. :eek: love him..:D :D

Ok.... maybe not quiet but one that does not make noise 24/7.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Think a lot depends on how good your neighbours are. I live with neighbours, but they are very good, and I have to admit mine aren't that bad. :eek: Not sure they would be all that good if I had a macaw living here tho'

ALISON, HOPE YOU DON'T MIND ME BLOWING YOUR TRUMPET HERE:

Have you PM'd Alison, she used to run a rescue, and would I'm sure know more of the rescue centres there than I do, also have you talked to a local Avian Vet, they can usually put you in touch with some good rescue centres. Good luck to you, and let us know how you are getting on with your search,

Alison

Jan 19, 2006
Massachusetts
Parrots
ALISON, HOPE YOU DON'T MIND ME BLOWING YOUR TRUMPET HERE:

LOL. You're so funny Peta. That's one of the reasons I love this board. :D

Have you PM'd Alison, she used to run a rescue, and would I'm sure know more of the rescue centres there than I do

Yes, he did. I gave him a couple names of rescues to contact. :)

blittlesis35

Apr 18, 2009
hi ,, im new to this and i have a conure she is a peach face ,, im looking for a bird for my dad and mom if anyone know"s were i can get a bird please let me know ,, thank you

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 6, 2009
hi ,, im new to this and i have a conure she is a peach face ,, im looking for a bird for my dad and mom if anyone know"s were i can get a bird please let me know ,, thank you

Might have better luck posting in the Classifieds section here.

Most Reactions

Latest posts