View Single Post
Old 02-15-2019, 12:05 PM
Parrots:
Sunny a female B&G macaw; Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey; All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Thanked 7,570 Times in 2,706 Posts
ChristaNL is on a distinguished road
Re: Do you ever wear earplugs?

I had a hard time ignoring Sunny's screaming for attention (something she picked up in her previous home) so I kept them handy, just in case.
Do not remember if I actually used them, but they were definitely in my backpocket a lot of the time!

--

as for your bird: being non-flighted... his brain gets enough exercise but I think his body may not...

(its the same in dogs who just *have* to bark their superplus energy away -> get them on nice long draining walks and some training and the problem disappears)
Of course you can train him to stop screaming: if every scream earns him no more contact with you for a few minutes he will stop, but then you do not get to the 'why' and he may start looking for other ways of getting rid of that energy (gnawing on feathers, headbanging, cagebarchewing etc.etc.).
So try "flapping in place"? Targettraining over longer distances etc. etc.

Last edited by ChristaNL; 02-15-2019 at 12:10 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ChristaNL For This Useful Post:
GaleriaGila Supporting Member (02-17-2019), rdc Supporting Member (02-28-2019), Rival_of_the_Rickeybird (02-27-2019), SilverSage (02-15-2019)