View Single Post
Old 02-16-2019, 09:23 AM
Supporting Member
Parrots:
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-( And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Thanked 8,358 Times in 3,316 Posts
AmyMyBlueFront is on a distinguished road
Re: Socializing & Training

Quote: Originally Posted by Birdmom12 View Post
Jim- As seen in another post you recommended an annual wellness exam for all birds. With that I started my search into finding a CAV. Everyone locally kept recommending this particular clinic. When I called they "weren't sure on certification" when I asked if they were a CAV. They do exam birds and do a wellness check up, trim nails, and if ABSOLUTELY NEEDED trim beaks...but "why would you ever need that done!" (keep in mind I was asking in the event it needs to be maintained)

I now continue my search with an actual CAV about 2.45 hours away. My question is, is the world lacking in CAV? Is it common to have to travel to see one!? What do you all do in the event of an emergency. After my talk with the local place I wasn't much impressed with them even as a back up option. They really seemed to question why I would do a nail trim. They ended it with they usually refer patients to a university clinic 2 hours away.

All the same the search continues for a reputable clinic.

Well I guess I'm lucky then The Animal hospital I've been seeing for over thirty years has two CAV's. The name of the place even shows they specialize in avian companions. " Kensington BIRD and Animal Hospital" and the place is just twenty minutes from me. I also found a 24/7 hospital that has a CAV on call for emergencies that's also twenty minutes away.
I'm thankful for being as close as I am. Many years ago Smokey,my TAG,bit Amy's tongue that required five stitches!

Jim

And a Grey 'teil, BB...a.k.a. The Beebs
that was 18 weeks old 5/20/2016,

Rest in peace,my precious Smokey..4/2015 at 28 years young