View Single Post
Old 03-06-2019, 11:47 AM
Parrots:
Parakeet named Blue. Adopted from a Humane Society 5 years ago. Kirby Cockatiel adopted from a humane society 2018. Also a slew of other small birds that span my entire childhood.
Birdmom12 is on a distinguished road
Re: How Can I Entice Murphy To Leave His Cage?

I purchased the family friendly parrot videos from Birdtricks.com...it talks a lot about gaining your birds trust/bonding. Our bird is very curious (hes new to us as well), he loves to come out of his cage, loves to explore, and loves to just sit cage top and snooze. Our bird however does not like me so much lately(rather hostile at times to)...hes more into my husband.

With that said though the video talked about desensitizing the animal to the person or thing that maybe intimidates them.

Its all about positive reinforcement and positive punishment. For your bird a positive reinforcement would be coming outside the cage for that favorite treat! Maybe you can hang a perch on the door and get an easy to attach food dish to put on the outside on the cage wall. I would only put the favorite treat in that dish...his reward would be coming out to get the treat. If he wants to go back to his cage once he gets it that's fine... eventually he will build up confidence and explore further. His positive punishment might be... you only get the treat if you go get it from the outside bowl.

It also helps when the bird is hungry, then they are more willing to "perform" for their treat. I would try this first thing in the morning before he gets breakfast.

Jim was right though time and patience goes a long way.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Birdmom12 For This Useful Post:
EllenD (03-08-2019), LeafyGreenBeaks (03-06-2019), SailBoat Supporting Member (03-06-2019)