View Single Post
Old 05-10-2019, 11:21 AM
Parrots:
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Thanked 7,541 Times in 3,076 Posts
EllenD will become famous soon enough
Re: parasite control?

Absolutely not...How many pet parrots have you heard of having Roundworms? None...Theres a reason, and that reason is that in the US the populations of Roundworms (the typical type that effect other animals such as dogs, cats, etc.) Are typically acquired by these animals while they are babies who are drinking milk from their parent-animals! This is the reason that Roundworms and any other species of worms are not seen in pet parrots. Period.

As far as "protozoan" infections go, this is referring to Giardia. That's it. And there is no preventative-treatment for Giardia in any animal, bird, reptile, or person for that matter. Giardia is an infection that yes, needs to be treated if acquired by any living creature, BUT YOU TREAT THE ACTIVE-INFECTION OF GIARDIA (OR OTHER PROTOZOAN INFECTIONS FOR THAT MATTER, THOUGH OTHERS ARE NOT AN ISSUE IN THE US, UK, CANADA, OR MOST OTHER DEVELOPED COUNTRIES). So could your Budgies acquire a Giardia infection from LIVING OUTSIDE IN AN AVIARY? NO, NOT UNLESS YOU ARE ALLOWING THEM TO DRINK FROM A NATURAL WATER-SOURCE OUTSIDE! (Even if your Budgies were to drink rain-water that collects outside in their Aviary they are not going to acquire a Giardia infection, as it lives in stagnant water-sources, as well as water-sources that have been effected by Giardia from an outside-contamination source)...Either way, there are not any preventative-medications that you can give ANY PET or yourself to protect against Giardia or other Protozoan infections, YOU SIMPLY TREAT ANY ACTIVE INFECTIONS THAT THEY MAY ACQUIRE...But again, unless you allow your Budgies to drink from an outside, natural water-source (excluding rain-water), then they aren't going to get Giardia or any other Protozoan infection.

***The big deal here is asking yourself the question "IS GIVING MY BUDGIES SOME TYPE OF PREVENTATIVE-MEDICATION TO PROTECT AGAINST "ROUNDWORMS" WORTH THE RISK OF KILLING THEM? The answer is a big, huge, resounding NOOOOO...I've not EVER seen nor heard of a pet parrot acquring a Roundworm infestation, and the ONLY WORMS that I've ever seen or heard of a pet parrot acquiring at all was a single-case of Hook-Worms that a pet Timneh African-Grey in Texas (I believe San Antonio), who lived INSIDE it's owner's house, contracted from their owner's new Dalmation puppy that they had just brought home a week before their bird became sick; it was later revealed that the bird's owner, in an attempt to "socialize" their Timneh with their new puppy, because they were worried about the bird becoming jealous, plucking, biting them or the puppy, etc., was allowing their bird to EAT OUT OF THEIR NEW PUPPY'S BOWL ALL WEEK LONG! I don't know if you heard/read about the study done by the CDC and that they published the results of around 2011-2012 (I don't remember exactly when it was released, only know that I was working at the Suzuki Dealership at the time and my boss, who was a huge dog person, told me about it, and then I went online to the CDC research sight and read the entire control-study write-up)...It basically stated that over 75% of parasite, bacterial, and fungal infections that PEOPLE WHO OWN DOGS ACQUIRE ON A REGULAR-BASIS COME FROM THEM NOT REGULARLY CLEANING/DISINFECTING THEIR DOG'S BOWLS, NEITHER THEIR FOOD OR WATER BOWLS, but instead they just keep dumping them out and refilling them...So I immediately related this study to the Timneh contracting an active Hookworm infestation from being allowed to eat out of the new puppy's bowl. Makes sense... (I'm talking in-captivity or pet-parrots, and in the US, UK, Canada, or other developed countries, not any undeveloped countries where parasites are actually normally found in the human-beings drinking-water and food-sources, you have to remember where we live as well)..

****Just to be clear here, the safest, most-efficient treatment for an infestation of any species of Roundworms, Hookworms, Pinworms, or Tapeworms is giving a daily, oral dose of Panacur for a certain number of days (usually 7), where the daily-dose that you give starts out high and then is decreased each day. Panacur was long-ago found to be not only 100% effective against most common GI worm infestations, but it's BY-FAR THE SAFEST TREATMENT AVAILABLE, IN-CONTRAST TO MOST OF THE LIQUID "DE-WORMERS" THAT WE USED TO GIVE OUR DOGS, CATS, ETC....So again, not only is the risk of your Budgies or anyone's pet birds/parrots contracting any species of GI worms so slim that the risk or giving your pet parrots/birds some type of horrible, awful Poison or Neuro-Toxin that is purposely meant to stay in their system for long periods of time to try to prevent any type of GI Worm infestation not at all worth the risk, BUT IF A PET BIRD/PARROT WAS TO BY SOME MIRACLE ACTUALLY ACQUIRE AN ACTIVE-INFESTATION OF ROUNDWORMS, HOOKWORMS, PINWORMS, TAPEWORMS, ETC., THE PANACUR THAT IS USED TO TREAT AND ERRADICATE AN ACTIVE-INFESTATION IS 100% SAFE, WORKS TO ERRADICATE THEM EXTREMELY QUICKLY, AND PRESENTS LITTLE TO NO CHANCE OF CAUSING EITHER UNWANTED SIDE-EFFECTS IN YOUR BIRD, OR THE ACCIDENTAL DEATH OF YOUR BIRD, LIKE ANY AND ALL OF THE POSSIBLE "PREVENTATIVE MEDICATIONS" THAT YOU COULD POSSIBLY GIVE THEM.

***So it makes absolutely no sense at all to risk making your pet birds/parrots extremely sick or even killing them in order to try to prevent them from contracting an extremely rare, uncommon GI-worm infestation, when the very small doses of Panacur that are used to treat an active GI-worm infestation cause no unwanted side-effects, and present little to no risk of the accidental death of your bird. And this is why most-all Certified Avian Vets do absolutely no preventative-medicating against any types of parasites in pet birds/parrots at all...The odds of your Budgies contracting ANY TYPE of parasitic infections/infestations while living outside in an aviary anywhere in the United States are basically ZERO, and if they would ever happen to contract some type of parasitic infection, you simply need to take them to your CAV to treat the active-infection/infestation, which poses little to no risk to their health or their lives.

***And I wasn't at all thinking of infections caused by Protozoa, Giardia being the main one in the US, as being classified as "Parasites"; typically Protozoan infections are lumped in with Bacterial and Fungal infections and not classified as being actual "Parasites"...But even if you were to consider Giardia and other Protozoan infections as being "Parasites", just like the common Parasites that effect other species of pets in the US, Giardia and other Protozoan infections are extremely rare in pet/captive birds and parrots, even those who live outdoors in an Aviary, Coop, Pen, etc., because their owners aren't allowing them to drink from outside water-sources such as ponds, lakes, streams, creeks, rivers, etc., nor to eat wild animals, the carcasses of wild-animals, or any other food that they are not actually feeding their birds themselves...IN FACT, GIARDIA AND OTHER PROTOZOAN INFECTIONS ARE ACTUALLY MUCH, MUCH, MUCH MORE COMMON IN WILD BIRDS AND ANIMALS BECAUSE THEY ARE OBVIOUSLY DRINKING FROM STAGNANT WATER-SOURCES AND EATING ROTTING AND UNSAFE FOOD SOURCES IN THE WILD. There are a few other Protozoan infections (as well as Amoebic infections if you want to look at this topic as a whole and really get to the nitty-gritty of it) that commonly effect people and their "animal" pets such as dogs, cats, ferrets, etc., any pets that they would feed wild/game meat to, which again, just like Giardia, there's not much you can do to prevent them from happening, but that are easily, quickly, and safely treated once an active-infection is diagnosed...And the really nice thing for us bird-owners when it comes to any Parasitic infections, such as any species of Worms, Giardia, etc., is that they are ALL almost immediately evident in our bird's droppings! This is one of the very few signs/symptoms of illness that our birds cannot do anything at all to hide.

****I think it's much more important (and obviously safer) to make sure that your parrots who are living outdoors in an Aviary have no access to any water-sources that you're not giving them, nor any food-sources that you're not giving them, than it is to worry about giving them extremely harmful Poisons and Neuro-Toxins to prevent against possible Parasitic-infections that they have less than a 5% chance of ever contracting....Make sure that their outdoor-aviary is 100% secure with no possibilities of them getting out.